Friday, February 23, 2007

Letter to Armando Gomez


I'm sorry I didnít get this manuscript to you sooner, as I was unavailable. Otherwise, I wouldíve gotten back to you in a more timely fashion. 

All I can offer you in the way of apology is that the auto accident really threw me off, I was unable to meet my obligation to you as I am still suffering from the accident—both physically and mentally. Among other things: post-trauma and post-concussive syndromes. Physically, because I still canít sit any length of time in front of the computer without my upper back and left arm hurting, and mentally, because it requires a certain clarity and presence of mind to edit well, and many's the time I sat down to edit, and it took me over an hour to edit ten pages or less. So you can imagine the countless (frustrating) hours I spent on the final product.

Enclosed please find my first revisons, third revisions and final fifth revisions of Westward Eden. Obviously, I do not expect payment for my work, due to the tardiness of meeting my obligation. So this work is gratis. In retrospect, even if I had been able to meet my obligation, the amount we mutually agreed on was so little an amount it wouldn't have covered my time and printing on the first revision, let alone, the four later ones. Rest assured it's well edited (with a fine tooth comb!) to page 212.

I had to reformat your manuscript yet another time to reconvert it over to Windows 95 format from Mac as all formatting was lost—esp. italics. I may have missed some italics. It's only the last section. Not much work, but itíll need minor editing to fit in with the tone of the rest of the MS. I want to put this in the mail ASAP as you're probably wondering if you'll ever get it back at this point.

My computer woes have been almost unbearable, this at a time when I still don't have the stamina to get simple tasks done. I wanted to print out a final laser copy for you on my Mac but my LaserWriter also went belly up (it's obviously not my year for computers or cars). I've been waiting all summer for my Mac and printer to be fixed, it's been a catch-22 all around. Luckily, I was finally able to get a friend's computer working (after a fashion), hence this copy of the MS!

I've enclosed former copy of MS and latest revision (Win 95, MS Word 7), and Mac disks. The Win 95 is the most up to date. Use that one. I also have a copy of it on the computer. You might want to let me know when you receive the packet/disks (which I'm tempted to send under separate cover) so I can trash the copy on my computer.

Youíve been more than patient. And I had no idea of how difficult it would be to complete the simplest tasks, let alone spend quality time and energy on your manuscript. I should have just handed it all back you after the accident. I had no idea it would take so long to bounce back (a state I still haven't felt since the accident). I only hope that you like what work I was able to do. It reads very well. I wish you the best of luck in marketing 

1.8.03

No comments: