Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Fund the National Endowment for the Arts

I have worked a lifetime in the schools, as an artist in residence, 50 years to be exact, and without the National Endowment for the Arts, which also funds our state and local arts partnerships, I could not have reached so many students where traditional teaching methods have failed them. You see, I am dyslexic. Albeit undiagnosed. The arts are the only thing that saved my life. I am both a visual artist and a poet. Because of art I learned to read. Because of art, I became a writer, and have won numerous awards for my work. Art allowed me to access my intellect, and also to grasp critical thinking skills—and my life goal has been to share this process with young students where traditional educational practices have failed them. This was all was made possible through the auspices of the NEA, and the CAC. Please support the arts. Art literally saves lives.

No comments: