Monday, July 25, 2022

Facebook punking 4.0

Facebook is either broken or it’s found a new form of gaslighting/ punishment for those of us who think outside the box. Right now every single comment on my posts comes back as a broken link. When my Facebook account goes wonkers, I find myself asking how long am I in the Facebook doghouse this time? Set to the O Brother Where Art Thou song, You’re in the Jailhouse Now.

It seems like there is a yellow card warning, and a red card warning system, with a secret extended time out period ,followed by Facebook shenanigans, and ultimately jail. My feisty friends Andrew and Tori know it well.

Turns out the punitive time out warning penalty is much longer than the actual duration of the offense. So we’re on active Big Brother watch. I’ve been issued both yellow and red warnings for using language figuratively. Facebook doesn’t like metaphor or aphorisms either, and says it goes against “community standards.” It’s a good thing James Joyce is not a Facebook user, is all I can say.

Certain words trigger the Facebook AI po-lice bots. No one knows exactly what they are. But I have figured out some of them: Slav-  ery. Kil. il as in Bill is one. Nuk with an e, as in “to microwave something” and the use of cho- with a p, as in “to crop a photo,” triggered a few of my latest warnings. Hate speech this time. do I have to get inventive in order to use those words? Guess I’ll work out my aggression by Chopin some wood. 

And a friend answered a trivia question about a band named Crac…I mean Saltines. Forget about the Saltines, what about the Florida Crac- er horses, an ancient breed related to paso finos. I find this censorship both funny and infuriating. And of course there’s no real appeal process, as no one is actually at the helm in the help department. You’re just having more conversations with Big Brother AI bots.

My first yellow card was from a 10-year-old meme, with Liam Neeson, on St. Paddy’s Day, another yellow card was for photo of an appaloosa mare, spotted colt, a spotted dog, and speckled chicken. I guess it was racist to post a photo of mixed mammals. Go figure.

An aside: Facebook often won’t let me edit my own comments. I used to get a warning saying I was going too fast. Now it merely tries to gaslight me. not gonna work Facebook. Luckily it usually only lasts a day or two, but I’ve had it last for a week or longer.

I assume it’s an added Facebook bonus prize from that yellow, or red card citation. I used to complain all the time, but it didn’t do any good. One time the revision ban lasted for months. I figure that’s Facebook’s way of slowing me down. Pish -shing me off, more like. I used to think it was a glitch in the software, now I think it’s just malicious code.

To think that people sit around and write code to keep us from using Facebook too fast, or liking too many posts, is mind-boggling. Aren’t we being good consumers? Aren’t we supposed to interact with posts?

Gee, I care about my spelling, ensuring that the right word is used, so yes I do edit my comments. Lots. Sometimes I think Facebook is the great dumbing down experiment. It wants us to be shallow thinkers, and it certainly doesn’t want us to use correct grammar…

And I won’t even mention the autocorrect feature that changes what I write several times over, long after I’ve posted my comments—and of course, I have to keep correcting it, and then I get penalized for going too fast. Sigh.

My latest literary attack is against those atrociously written sponsored ad posts that appear every third post in my newsfeed. I get creative with my slams which I’m sure will land me in more hot water. But it’s oh so satisfying. “Commentary is painful to read as if written by a myopic pet hamster saddled with a royal “We” complex, wringing its paws for the duration, whining, woe is me, while stranded well outside its intellectual comfort zone, who also has the need to end every sentence with an exclamation mark! 

I have learned that every time we click on those sponsored post, they are charged for it, so we should be madly clicking away. Run up the bill. The way I see it is that I didn’t ask for the sponsored posts so they are fair game. We complainers are part of the slow rebellion.

Warnings: 

“Once the appeal period expires, you'll have to wait another 12 months to get cleared. Facebook warnings expire after one year.”

Oh great, I am stuck in this madness until May 3 of 2023. That is if I don’t get busted or something else.and, of course, you know I will.





No comments: