Monday, April 30, 2018
END OF AN ERA
In the garden, I found an old plate
encrusted with dirt, from my family home,
chipped, and stained, it had seen better days.
But I couldn't bring myself to toss it out.
It's an old school cafeteria-style plate
with a plain boring logo on it: B/G
and two blue lines like railroad tracks.
I thought the initials stood for my brother and I,
so we fought over who got to use the plate,
and it fell to the floor with that ringing sound
and hubub of a train leaving the station,
but it never broke. I never once thought
to turn the plate over to find the logo,
of an Indian hunkered down making pots
for B/G Sandwich Shops, in PA.
Who says plates can't talk?
So I Googled it and found a story
of a man who came out west, Ralph Moody
to manage a sandwich shop on Market St.
When things got tough, my family would yell:
Come on Seabiscuit! He was a rebellious horse
who won races but only when he put his mind to it.
Ralph lived between Tanforan and Bay Meadows,
and because he'd tell tales of his storied life
as a ranch hand, a hobo, a stunt rider for the movies,
someone suggested a night class in creative writing.
It became a book, followed by another, 17 in all.
He penned a story, Come On Sea Biscuit!
Guess that old plate had a story to tell after all.
4/3018
Here we are again: the end of another challenge. Thank you so much for showing up and poeming along with me. It’s always a great deal of fun. For today’s prompt, write a closing time poem. Or another way of coming at this prompt is to write a poem in which something is coming to an end–like this month’s poetry challenge. Could be the end of a concert, an era, or whatever else must come to a close.
2018 April PAD Challenge: Day 30
The poem came out of a prose piece I had already written, B/G Sandwich Shops plate, or the tale of Ralph Moody, who wrote, Come on Seabiscuit! It needs work. A placeholder for the last day of poetry month.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment