Tuesday, April 24, 2018

ANYTHING FOR BEAUTY, and Retinol as a night creme?


An advert for Retinol Night Cream.
I wondered, what's the point?
Bald men's shiny pates aside,
who wants to extra hair on their face?
An anti-aging cream erases deep wrinkles
while you sleep. But the skin elixir backfired.
One woman said her temple hairline
was dangerously close to her eyebrows.
Another woman thought she had developed
a rare disease, policyst ovarian syndrome.
Yet another was convinced she was channeling
Frida Kahlo's famous unibrow.
A single man, intent on tightening up his pores,
sprouted velus hairs on his nose and cheeks.
He must've slathered the elixer on,
even his eyebrows were thicker,
he was well-pleased with the results.
No mention of downunder, TG,
The hirsute women, however,
were experiencing mid-life crises,
sprouting downy hair on their faces,
with their wrinkles still intact. 
These dewy-cheeked matrons,
seeking the elusive Fountain of Youth,
have taken up shaving.
Anything for beauty.

4/24/18

Retinol as a night creme?

An advert for Retinol Night Cream for women took me aback. I wondered, what's the point? Bald men's pates aside, who wants to grow hair on their face? So I Googled it and found this: This anti-aging cream visibly reduces the look of lines and deep wrinkles on your face while you sleep. OK. I get that. But then I found this: How I Accidentally Grew Hair on My Left Temple with Retinol. It looks like the skin plumping elixir sometimes backfires. One woman said her temple hairline was creeping dangerously close to her eyebrows. Another thought she had policyst ovarian syndrome. Another thought she was channeling Frida Kahlo's unibrow. A man, intent on tightening up his pores, sprouted velus hairs on his nose, cheeks, and bonus eyebrow hairs. I guess he was overgenerous with his application because he had a systemic reaction. He became hairier all over, and was well-pleased with the results. The hirsute women, however, were experiencing mid-life crises! Sprouting downy hair on their faces, and no sign of wrinkles going away. The dewy-cheeked matron, seeking the elusive Fountain of Youth, has taken up shaving. So very Neanderthal. Talk about a close shave. Anything for beauty.
I guess technically this could be the assignment to write an anti-form poem.

Closing in on the finish line of another April Poem-A-Day Challenge, so today I’m upping the stakes for anyone who wants an extra challenge! For today’s Two-for-Tuesday prompt: Write a roundelay. (See also rondel, a variation of the rondeau—not to be confused with a roundel.)

Or… Write an anti-form poem.

No comments: