—para John
After I gave you a blue lapis heart,
which you always wore on your vest,
you said: if I love you am I trapped forever?
We didn't know the answer was an infinitive Yes.
Even when I left. I had to. And yet you still
loved me
the way I loved you all this time. No matter what.
At least at the
end, we were able to say,
I love you once more to each other,
and really mean it, no holds barred.
Goodnight, Sweetheart.
I give you back your blue lapis heart,
lost so
many years ago in the wash.
You were
never alone in the dark, nor unloved.
Safe journey, mi amor, and may your ashes
enrich those desert oases you loved so deeply.
Right up to the very end,
poetry was your other woman,
but the desert was your real lover.
Perhaps that blue lapis heart
is waiting somewhere on the trailhead
whispering
secret words of love
to the pale desert sky, waiting
for the next star-crossed lovers
to cross its path.
4/23/18
Well, this is from my recount of John's memorial reading, the tale-end (stet), where I slipped off the corsets of prose for something more comfortable. Poetry. So I guess it counts as revision.
Today’s prompt, take a line from an earlier poem (preferably from this month) to begin your poem for today. For instance, I took the final few lines of my poem from day 12 to start my example poem below. So scan through your earlier stuff to figure out where to start today.
2018 April PAD Challenge: Day 20
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment