Sunday, April 15, 2018

MONA THE ONE-EYED CAT


Jannie Dresser lost her one-eyed wonder,
Mona, a tuxedo cat, who went missing
on a souped-up Saturday night.
She slipped out, thin as a shadow 

through the crack of the door 
into the darkness that beckoned.
Her lone eye fixed on the siren moon
while Jannie, heartbroken, walked the alleys
crooning for her lost cat. I said:
Cats sometimes go on walkabout,
and return a little worse for wear. 
Perhaps she's searching 
for the lost dreams of her other eye.
What tall tales she'll have.


4/23/18
(the cat returned five nights later)
first draftMONA THE ONE-EYED CAT

Jannie Dresser lost her one-eyed wonder,
Mona, a tuxedo cat, who went missing
on a souped up Friday night.
She slipped out, thin as a shadow
through the crack of a door into darkness.
Cats sometimes go on walkabout,
and return a little worse for wear.
Perhaps she's searching
for the lost dreams
of her other eye.
4/23/18

For today’s prompt, write a metaphor poem. That is, write a poem built around a metaphor. Remember: Metaphors actually take on another object (like “I am a Tree” or “I am a Rock“). This is not to be confused with similes, which are like metaphors (for instance, “I am like a tree” or “I am like a rock”), but not quite. Dig? If so, then you are a shovel or spade or bulldozer. Now poem the heck out of metaphors today.

2018 April PAD Challenge: Day 15

No comments: