When I was troubled, my grandmother always told me to sleep on it, as a solution would come, and invariably she was right. I only needed faith that a solution would arrive, as it often did. Even though I didn't believe her, a solution would often come while I was sleeping. I think of the scientist Kekule and the inventor Singer who both slept on it as well, when faced with a conundrum and no obvious answers in sight. Kekule dreamed of benzine carbon rings opening and closing, as if they were linked arm in arm like girl gangs. And Singer dreamed of a sword fight when he was trying to resolve how to get the thread to loop through the needle and to link a stitch. They were stitching together memory and dream with practicum. Sleeping on my math book before a test did not yield any tangible results.
TheNarrativeMethod.com prompt
No comments:
Post a Comment