Saturday, April 1, 2023

GREAT WHITE HUNTER, FOOLISH HEART, NaPoWriMo Day 1 haiku

GREAT WHITE HUNTER

Oliver the cat
tiptoes over the wet grass 
then sits on the bug.

He slinks down the path 
flat-eared and round-eyed, he chatters, 
but the birds are no fools.

Foolish cat lays low 
thinking he’s invisible. 
The birds know better.
………….

Last night’s storm damage 
is measured in increments 
by the sheer number 

of utility trucks 
parked by the side of the road
hoisting up cables.
………

Driving any old way to work

So much depends on
the SUV in front of me, 
which way it turns, 

thus mapping my path 
leaving the day’s route to chance.
The road least taken.

………..

Unlucky rabbit 
by the side of the road, split 
like a BBQ chicken.

………..

The marmot was right

Winter didn’t let go 
its hold until April arrived 
rolling up its trousers, 

ready for business.

4/1-3 (I counted syllables all day, but didn’t commit to print)
NaPoWriMo. Haiku & American looons.


FOOLISH HEART

Foolishly, I thought you’d love me forever.
Foolishly, I put all my eggs in one basket.
Foolishly I waited 21 years to seal the bargain
before I had enough of all this foolishness with you.
Foolishly you thought it would all blow over.
Foolishly you hedged your bets. And assumed much.
But when the promissory note came due,
there was nothing left, but your foolish pride.
Foolishly, I believed everything you said.
Foolishly, I believed that forever would last
at least for a half-life of forever and a day.
Foolishly, I believed in the fairytales.
I believed that love was forever today.
But my moth-eaten pride was in tatters,
my heart was dressed in Cinderella rags.
My heart harbored pestilence, rotted from the inside,
because foolishly, I took it all in and blamed myself
gaslighted by your foolish pride.

2023 April PAD Challenge Write a foolish poem.

Here are all 30 of 2022 poem a day prompts. Knock yourself out.

No comments: