NaPoWriMo write a contemporary love sonnet.
I didn’t feel it.
2023 April PAD Challenge write a numbers poem
NUMBERSYeah, I didn’t have much of a dad.
Not much of a mother either.
It all came down to numbers.
No child support was the biggest number.
My mother, who was part alley cat,
dropped me off at my grandmother’s doorstep
when I was four. Followed by my brother
who arrived one Sunday morning in a bassinet
on our doorstep some four years later.
My father came to see me a few times
during those growing up years.
And then he ditched me when I was 18.
He loved a bottle of Seagrams 7 on ice
more than he loved me. That was his number.
At least my mother tried to love me
as she descended into the depths of depression
but her good days were a finite number.
But I adored my grandmother, whose number
was marred by a widow’s half pension,
so I grew up in the country, dirt poor,
but somehow made whole by the algorithms
of landscape, despite everything.
5/31/23
No comments:
Post a Comment