Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Open wounds of childhood


When I was a child I was busy saving myself, because the usual suspects were MIA, my parents having long since fled the scene of my upbringing for the seductive smoky darkness of Northbeach bars. My default parent, my grandmother wasn’t the sentimental type. If I did something stupid, she’d grumble under her breath, so I learned to hide my wounds. Like that time I broke my arm. But there were times when hiding open wounds was impossible. We were walking home from catechism class at St. Cecelia’s, savoring the sweet chewy splinters of a Big Hunk bar one overcast winter afternoon. We took the low road because it was safer than the highway. Not many cars on the road in those days, but there were fewer bullies. Burly Charlie Vollenweider and his lanky friend Chalmers Ingersoll, atop the cliff above the highway, waited for us: me, Kathy and Marie Nielsen, and the Nunes girl—little Catholic girls running the gauntlet. I was relieved the boys were stuck on the cliff. They jeered and lobbed rocks at us from the top of the cliff. We ran from the barrage of rocks. One hit my head with a crack that sounded like a baseball connecting with the bat. I screamed and ran down the road, sobbing, my knees buckling under my chin as I fought the road rising up to greet me, a wash of hot blood trickling from my head. When I got to Arroyo Road, to cross the highway, a driver appeared by chance, and slammed on the brakes. I remember a green Pontiac.Was it my aunt? A neighbor? A stranger? They drove me home. My wound was dressed by my grandmother, adept at triage, having raised four boys and as many tomboys. The sheriff was called, and of course, the Vollenweiders were summoned, and accused me of lying. The immigrant divide was playing out in our living room as Mr. Vollenweider raged on like a prosecuting attorney, you could see where Charlie got his bullying skills from. Charlie smirked at me. It was my word against his. I was a mere child, not yet ten. So, nothing ever came of it. Who would’ve believed a child? Three witnesses and an open wound weren’t proof enough. The doctor finally arrived from Pt. Reyes, with his little black bag in tow, diffused the tension, but I couldn’t stop shaking. The light he shined in my eyes was like a knife. They wouldn’t let me sleep, and the headache numbed my senses. In hindsight, Old Man Vollenweider was protecting his son. But whenever I brush my hair, the dent in my skull, and a small betrayal knot of scar tissue where that rock pierced my scalp, is a constant reminder of the battle scars and injustices of childhood that we all carry. That afternoon I learned that the bullies came in all sizes and they always win.

8/17 Write On! With Susie Terence

No comments: