I follow my pen to wherever it leads me. Today it carries me to the edge of the page where I jump into frigid waters like a penguin on a rapidly melting ice pack. Better than a cliff. Nothing is true ground or terra firma when you get down to it. If you are unsure and cannot give your writing a place to land, or perhaps a home, then what? My overriding goal is to make friends with grief, not letting it get in the way. But letting it stand on its own two feet. Or is it four feet? I acknowledge it, no need to take inventory of all those past transgressions, or to make a portmanteau of grief, for it will manifest itself in odd ways, and causes a chain reaction of sorrow. I am in love with the sound of my felt pen upon the page. Like a cat licking a pizza box, and I marvel at the fluidity and grace of my handwriting. It’s been years, decades since I’ve handwritten anything so the retro aspect is a welcome change in this electronic world we now inhabit.
8/25 Telling your truth workshop with Carolyn Holbrook. Soul Bone Literary Festival, MIU, Zoom event
No comments:
Post a Comment