Dear Alexander McCall Smith,
During this time of pandemic, I have rediscovered your delightful books in audio format, as I seem to have the attention span of a gecko for reading these days, this is a real boon, and I do love falling asleep listening to Mma Ramotswe’s escapades. Comparing her traditionally built figure to a baobab tree had me laughing out loud in the middle of the night. Woke me right up. My roommates, too.
I have begun at the very beginning of the No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series, but I must admit I snuck ahead to listen to How to Raise an Elephant. So, I know the little white van is in perfectly good, if bent, working order. Lovely to hear from you, and that you’re embarking on yet another book. All that I know of Botswana is through the lens of Mme Ramotswe.
I do have some questions about the Botswanan cattle. Are they like the ones with massive horns, like the Ankole-Watusi of Rwanda? Horns so massive, they could cradle the sun? The reason I ask, is because weekly I pass a herd of African cattle on a west Marin hillside, and of course I think of Mme Ramotswe’s late father making this all possible.
Speaking of ancient cattle, I did take another spin through Portuguese Irregular Verbs, this time in audio format, and was surprised to find that I got to the end of the book. A first. Alors! In the past, as you may recall, I never got past Chapter Three because after reading about Irish Irregular Verbs, I was satisfied to stop there. What else was there to know? It has become a pilgrimage of sorts over the decades, to read the first three chapters, every few years, then drift off into an odd reverie of sorts, having once attempted to study Old Irish Irregular Verbs at Berkeley via translation of the Táin Bó Cúailgne, or The Cattle Raid of Cooley, in English. A real bloodbath, I might add.
I do look forward to your latest book, no. 23, is it? And this time, if you do visit California, God willing, I will indeed make an attempt to see you. The last time you were here, I came down with a frightful cold. I am still kicking myself that I didn’t make more of an effort to see you at Book Passage. Have you considered doing some Zoom appearances? I would love to listen to you, even if pixelated.
Your ever so grateful reader,
Slán agat,
Maureen Hurley
No comments:
Post a Comment