Saturday, January 22, 2022

Jefferson Airplane house on Fulton fragment


Someone posted a photo of an old house in San Francisco, wanting to know its history. I immediately recognized the place, even though it was painted white. Grace Slick and the Jefferson Airplane band lived at the corner of Fulton, the big Edwardian style Victorian was painted black. I think the Corinthian columns were painted gold, or trimmed with gold paint. I remember the blue and green shag rug in the living room, with a sunken square tile tub, and a baby grand with red roses on it. My friend Kevin was selling dope to a bandmate in the kitchen, so my friend Carolyn played something classical on the piano, and Grace came out snarling and screeching wearing nothing more than an ecru trimmed babydoll negligee at 4 PM. Her hair was a rats-nest, and she had raccoon eyes from smeared makeup. Not a pretty sight. She tried to throw us out, but we merely went into the kitchen instead—where everybody was gathered round the kitchen table smoking and drinking strong coffee in the afternoon sunlight. An indelible memory. Then they all moved to West Marin and we saw them all the time. They hung a model biplane from an oak tree in front of their house in Woodacre. I used to ride my horse by their place all the time. Some pix.

No comments: