Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Fat Tuesday pancakes


My grandmother always made thin crepe-style pancakes for dinner on Fat Tuesday, or Shrove Tuesday, right before Lent. Sometimes the pancakeswere stuffed with a crumbled cheese mix, usually cottage cheese, then sprinkled with sugar and lemon. Not your usual Sunday morning pancakes. But very tasty. I loved the novelty of having pancakes for dinner.

Every year, without being aware that it's close to Shrove Tuesday, I find myself making pancakes for dinner. Old habits die hard. One year I decided to kick it up a notch and so I used a variety of Wensleydale cheeses, one was flavored with dried apricot filling, and another with lemon rind. Divine, but way too filling. Like lead in the stomach. But we couldn’t let all that real maple syrup go to waste, now could we? More info here.

Not sure why there's vinegar in this Welsh recipe...if the buttermilk's any good, you don't need it. Besides, lemon juice would be more flavorful—unless it's basalmic vinegar. Then, by all means, carry on.

More info on Shrove Tuesday here. And here.

Added 2/20

 More foodie blogposts

No comments: