Today, my bandage comes off. I look like the mummy. All I can think of is a shower. Shower! Donna said they may just change the bandage. So I may have to saran-wrap my knee if I want to take a shower. Off to the doctor’s soon. Still so groggy. I need a nap. I don't DO naps! Ate toast, yogurt and a bit of baguette & cheese—most food I've had since Tuesday.
I think most of this nausea and grogginess is because of my reaction to anesthesia. Redhead gene is rampant in our family (nach), so we're odd ducks when it comes to pain meds, and anesthesia. Our family is renown for coming-to in the middle of operations. The Walsh redhead gene we all carry makes us harder to anesthesize, and harder to wake us up. Also harder to medicate for pain. I generally wake up mid-operation, and begin to chatter with the doctors.
I’m a regular barfometer. Oxycodone is out. Tramadol is iffy. I can’t seem to keep it down. I even barf up the anti nausea meds. I mean, who does that? Eyelids are gettying so heavy. Zzzz Snyx! A nap and an ice before I go to the doctor’s office.
Chillin' the knee on the 1/2 hour. I'm all strapped in for a bit. I should be OK to get there. I can also call a cab if it hurts too much to drive. This really sucks doing it alone. Seems I’m alone most of the time whenever there’s a crisis. Neil is at work—he seems to be in his own world. Not a good nurse at all.
Well, hopefully the road won't rise up to greet me—as in faceplant. Driving was an adventure. I used my tippytoe to engage the clutch. Hardest part of driving is getting a rather cumbersome leg into the car. Or just getting to the car. No long distance sprinter. Really glad I've been doing all those muscle isolation exercises! Isoloate, lock, lift! I move like a robot.
I’m using a singular crutch today. Which means I don't have to wear an apron to carry my stuff. And I can drink tea out of a cup! Actually walked a few steps today unaided. Hard to figure out how to lock my knee after all this time. I’m easily distracted, even tho I didn't take my pain meds today. Oh, look—shiny! Driving home was extrasensory.
Progress. One crutch. And the stitches are removed. Shower. Yes.
From a Facebook post.
Friday, January 24, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment