Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Thatcher, drinking and Drinkwater


Peculiar sensation of being depressed because I'm depressed—sort of like a Gemini moment after immersing myself in too much negative Thatcherism yesterday. So I had two glasses of wine. I'm sure Katelin would approve.
Carla Stone I approve.
Katelin Me too, but not blaming the Iron Bitch. Hope it helped.

Maureen Hurley Indeed. Maggie Thatcher milk snatcher

Katelin Have you noticed how the news organizations in Britain don't quite know how to handle the coverage and the ensuing blowback? No matter if they slant pro or anti, they are getting slammed. Some of them are trying a even hand - now- and still failing. Poor news media.

Gregory An original concept: Happiness through a bottle....

Katelin An oldie but a goodie.

Maureen I'm out of milk.

Donna Margaret Thatcher is not worth getting depressed about. My homeowner's insurance--now THAT'S depressing. Being out of milk--that's depressing, too.

Maureen  Meanwhile, Danny Boyle to create Thatcher closing event: http://www.newsbiscuit.com/.../danny-boyle-to-create.../

Donna Look, you're having lunch with Carol Drinkwater on Saturday (restaurant still not disclosed!).

Maureen I'm doin' taxes now—it's killin' me. Not quite a poll tax but it points to the role Thatcher played in paving the way for financial deregulation, and how that corruption so easily took root on Wall Street. Ah, the Bush years—will we ever climb out from under?  So very looking forward to it and will be sad to miss Carol's reading but I need to pick Neil up at the airport around 5 PM. I'm sure he'd give his eye-teeth to also be there. 

She worked with Olivier!!! Wow, what a career. I bet she'll have things to say about Thatcher too. What book is she reading from at Diesel? 4 PM, right? Wonder if we can swing by later and catch a few moments. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Drinkwater

Carol Drinkwater (born 22 April 1948) is an Anglo-Irish[1] actress, author and film-maker, best known[1][2][3] for her award-winning portrayal of Helen Herriot in the television adaptation of the James Herriot books, All Creatures Great and Small (1978–85), which led to her receiving the Variety Clu...
en.wikipedia.org

There's also an Irish in California Meetup at 6:30-9 PM (Tim Ferry's Yahoo group) at the Starry Plough 3101 Shattuck Ave. in Berkeley CA 94705. Maybe Niall MacDonagh Himself will be attending—amazing, he is. Amazing family history as well.

Donna Carol will, probably, be reading from one of her "olive" books. She just finished making a documentary film about the olive tree (she will be selling the DVD, too). She will be at Mrs. Dalloway's Books and Garden Center at 4 p.m., on College Ave. Her mom is Irish. I'm sure that Carol will be at Mrs. Dalloway's for a couple of hours. Come by, if you can. She's also doing a reading of some sort at KJB Winery in Kenwood the next day, but the winery has turned it into a "fund raiser" event with food and wine tasting for $40. Carol gets nothing!

Maureen  Carol Drinkwater presents The Olive Farm: A Memoir of Life, Love, and Olive Oil in the South of France (Penguin, $16) Saturday, April 13, 4:00pm, A popular and acclaimed author and film-maker as well, Carol has published nineteen books. Her series of memoirs about her experiences reclaiming a Provence Olive Farmhave become best sellers in the U.S. and abroad.
2904 College Avenue, (and Russell, off Ashby) Berkeley, CA 94705
info@mrsdalloways.com Phone 510.704.8222
http://www.mrsdalloways.com/about-our-store

Donna Her prose reminds me, a bit, of your writing. Personal recollections, filled in with factual information.

Neil Are you ale to pick me up on SAT...? I thought you'd be working...

Maureen See Drinkwater note above...

No comments: