Friday, October 29, 2021

Justa’s story (Florida Journals) (folklore)

Mi abuela Amalia, was born in Havana, and died when I was 7 or 8. I was born in Puerto de Golpe. My Abuelo, Elucerio died at 70. Mi mama, Mima, was one of 7 daughters. they didn’t have tv, or radio, nada, so they had many daughters. (Laughs). I study three years at University of Havana for dental surgery. When the University of Havana was closed by Castro, I couldn’t finish my diploma. In 1922 Fidel closed all the Universities—todo. Everything. Everything. 

Mis tias were Marusa Caridad, Silvia, Oralia, Emelina, JoAnNuñes. My name, Justa, belonged to my grandmother. I had muchos primos Mi favorito was Rolando Ross who died two years ago. He was so friendly with me, we talked about many things about life.

Mi padre, Francisco Jose Nunez Blanco, nacie en San Cristobal, so kind a person. I loved him. He married my mother when she was 16. He was the Chief of Puerto De Golpe train station. He was very smart. She was a telegraph operator. Francisco had six brothers two sisters. I had muchos primos from my father’s side too. One uncle had 12 children.

Mi primo Rolando was a singer, and he loved Mexican music. I have two cousins who were lawyers. Nephews who are doctors, they live in Coral Gables. 

I met Gustavo when I was 17, Gustavo was 19, in 1927. We met en Puerto de Golpe. Y en el university. I see him many times. When the univeristy closed, he wrote me a letter. Many letters he wrote me. He wrote to me and Maynita sent it to me. It was a secret. One time I put the letter on the table and I forgot it. And my mother found it and she said it was impossible, you’re too young. 

You told your family you wanted to marry Gustavo. But he was mi enamorado. They knew nothing about him. One day Gustavo wanted to visit me and they said Get out. She’s too young. Everyone was angry with me. Gustavo said I won’t wait anymore. On Dec. 20 , 1920, I married with him. He is the man of my life.

We got married twice, once in Havana. Then I went to Santa Clara to marry in the church, where he was born. El pais de General Carillo. We lived in Havana, close to the school where Gustavo taught, at the Collegio Belem, a religious college. When the university closed, he had to leave. He studied architecture. But nowhere to practice.

I left Cuba on July 9, 1975. My brother Miguel left first, he died last year. We went to Spain for three years. Refugees. I didn’t go back to school. I didn’t want to be a medico. Gustavo worked at mano alsada? architecture. I taught at the Sagrada Familia school en Barcelona. We had two daughters Mari and AnaLina who went to school there. When we got ready to leave to the United States, they didn’t want to leave. 

After three years in Spain, we had to leave, or return to Cuba. We came direct to Miami because Gustavos‘s brother lived here. En 1979 we went to Maimi but I don’t like it. Gustavo said Bueno, everybody has to stay here because this is the last place. The family was scattered over here. Money is so important. It was impossible no junto.

I worked 26 years as a surgical nurse in the Emergency room at Coral Gables hospital. I liked to work in hospital, I made electrocardiograms, I helped people with heart problems. I loved my job. All those hearts. All those heart operations, sometimes I was covered in blood. Sangre. Es la verdad. 

When Gustavo died I lost my heart. It was 17 June 2016.  For me it was a love forever and ever. I say to God, I’m sorry, the time that I had with him was good. I will visit him again.

No comments: