And today, on my Facebook Memories thread, this story of my attempts at scanning negatives of Jay Daniel (Lapidus) at a photography exhibit at the Falkirk Center in 1985 popped up. I had no idea who he was—other than I recognized his face from the wayback days—until I scanned the negative with his paycheck on it. It all fell into place.
And so, I searched for him on Facebook, and that was the day we became virtual friends. Again. I had no idea that all of this synchronic alignment that dates back to our high school daze at SF Drake HS, happened on the day of Jay’s mom’s birthday. How cool is that? Happy 93rd birthday Mrs. Lapidus, indeed.
![]() |
| Mrs. Lapidus, Jay Daniel photo |
Today is the one-year anniversary of the day synchronicity rolled up its shirtsleeves, and was found hard at work aligning the stars just so. I guess the story isn’t yet done with me.
A year later, I still don’t have the good Epson scanner to finish the job. The price went through the roof. It now costs more used, than when it was new. But I have hope that I will find one I can afford so that I can finish the job. As I recall, there was also yet another a massive wildfire that kept us all on our toes with our evacuation piles at the ready. And we were several months into solitary confinement and sequestration.
I have at least six more fat albums of negatives of poets and artists to scan…but it’s too hit and miss with the old scanner that wantonly chops off people’s hands and heads. I did, however, nearly finish scanning my newspaper archives. To do: few files of of musicians that also need TLC. And my travel negatives. Progress has been made and measured in gigabytes.

No comments:
Post a Comment