Saturday, February 15, 2020

Scanning marathon old family photos

While scanning old family photos I learned a lot of family history—how my cousin Patricia D’Arcy sang for De Valera in SF, who in turn called his friend in Tacoma, which turned out to be her Ward uncle, and de Valera never knowing they were related. New photos emerge of my great-grandmother Jane Rose Sullivan Walsh in Bantry. What was amazing was that we had another photo clearly taken the same day, so she must’ve sent different photos to all her children in America. One of her with an Irish setter, another of her with a pitchfork. Some copies of old photos I took where mine were destroyed years ago... different angles of photos at family parties where I had some photos. A news clipping that corroborates the story of my grandfather’s and coworker Henley’s unfair demotion at the SF Sheriff’s dept., so Sheriff McGinty could hire a crony as undersheriff, which became a landmark case, where my grandfather fought city hall and won. See Bernard Reilly va. the City and County of San Francisco. A photo of former fireman Pat Ward leading the SF pipe band on stage and performing /opening for the Chieftains in SF. Lots of clippings of both Jerry D’Arcys, Jr.  singing for the SF Giants, and other police events. An article on Mike Collins, Gregorian singer, loads of photos of him and his brother Frank, who was killed in a car accident at 22. Many photos of my grand-aunts Kitty and Peg. I had no idea Peg lived on State Island, I knew she lived in Bantry for a while, she went back and forth. When The Big Fellah, Michael Collins was shot by the British, they left Ireland for good. I think he was a distant cousin of Peg’s husband, also named Mike Collins. She moved to SF during the Depression. A photo of Peg singing family parodies of Captain Jerry D’Arcy’s  stolen bagpipes to the tune of Danny Boy at parties. Oh Jerry boy, your pipes were stolen from the bus...

No comments: