SILENT HAICHES
My grannie taught me to write
old school Gaelic League Irish
Sí buailte means strike—not to strike,
with dots over the muted consonants;
they were marked with a sí buailte,
a diacritic hangover from Old Irish.
no infinitive verb in Irish. Drop the fada
Seán becomes sean, which means old, she said.
DEEP NOVEMBERLETTER TO COLM TÓIBÍN
sí buailte (she bool-che)
She didn't like reformed Irish at all.
Modern typography couldn't handle those dots
so haiches were added after the consonant.
"There are no Haiches in Irish, she scoffed.
"Haich is a ladder to the sky,
Haich is silent, holy, haich is like God."
So I learned the old style writing
with long-tailed rs and esses.
I learned to dot my Ts and Cs to soften them.
Then we had some tea with milk and sugar
as we silently worked on our letters.
Oct, 24/2015
DEEP NOVEMBERLETTER TO COLM TÓIBÍN
sí buailte (she bool-che)
síneadh fada (shinea fada)
My grannie learned to write Hibernian Gaelic (yes, that's what it was called) with the dots over consonants muted with a “sí buailte.” But one wrote in Irish. "There are no Haiches, she said. Haich is a ladder to the sky, Haich is silent, like God." She didn't like reformed Irish at all. So I learned this style. with the long r and long s. I learned to dot my Ts. Then we had some tea as we worked on our letters..
No comments:
Post a Comment