Wednesday, April 11, 2012

TORNADO


Last night it snowed on the Tehachepes
but the Grapevine was open.
Driving down I-5, we saw vast
angel wings of hail and snow falling from the sky,
and a massive cloud column or tower—
I joked that it looked like a budding tornado.
not that I have ever seen a tornado.
It had lightning, and a rainbow! A real tornado.
From the heights of Hwy 33, 
you could see how the cloud tower
came all the way down to the ground 
in a wide pillar, pulsing and swirling.
A cloud show of biblical proportions
suckling everything in, 
including the last remnants of daylight.

4/11/12
rev. 4/11/19
Incredibly beautiful entry into the Mojave Desert. We managed to visit three state parks yesterday: Fort Tejon (sadly, it's slated for closure—it has a wonderful interpretive program for kids like Fort Ross—ranger Michael D is the best); Antelope Valley Poppy Preserve (alas, no poppies—but the volunteers are fabulous!), and Red Rock Canyon State Park—sublime mud and clay formations. You've seen them in all the old westerns, folks.

No comments: