Wednesday, June 28, 2023

SHAME WORN HAND-ME-DOWNS


My aunt brought home a cardboard box of old clothes.
It was like Christmas in July. My heart foundered
on the festive picnic of a gingham dress 
with puffy sleeves and ruffles framing a scoop neck. 
It made me feel so grown-up as I whirled and twirled 
like a dust devil dancing up a storm in the driveway. 
I wore a funnel of pleasure floating off into the blue sky. 
I wore it to church. I wore it to school, it made me feel 
like a princess with its full skirts rustling in the breeze.
I vaguely knew the girl from catechism, she was older,
she didn’t go to our church or to our school. 
But it was a tight-knit farming community 
so I was careful not to wear it to the other church 
where her family were parishioners. I was in 5th grade,
it was a time of transitions. At our annual church bazaar, 
as my grandmother culled clothes on the rummage table,
there she was, whispering to the others, pointing a finger
at her old dress. She made me feel so ashamed 
for wearing hand-me-downs. Thing is, there was 
no shame attached to old clothes—until she outed me 
and I put that dress away, never to wear it again.

6/28/23 Write On! Prompt. Terri Glass

No comments: