Monday, February 13, 2023

ABOVE TIMBERLINE


As I stood alone on the rocky ledge at sunset, 
looking down into the canyon, a thousand feet deep,
the distant sound of water, the steep talus slope
ringing like bells as something above me moved,
and dislodged rocks that fell into the void.
I was stuck, nowhere to go, he stepped into sunlight, 
his white fur glowed with the sun as he eyed me. 
We stood there, for what seemed like an eternity 
as we debated what to do. Each not expecting the other 
in this remotest of places high above timberline 
on the glaciated slopes of Mt Olympus.
I canted back against the warm cliff, 
splayed like a lover as he slipped between my legs. 
I admired his black hooves, his dark eye regarded me, 
as his sharp horns pierced the air.
His soft fur smelled of lichen and moss 
and something wilder as he navigated past my body. 
One false move, and we would both be goners. 
But this longest day wasn’t about facing death. 
It was about emptying the chambers of the heart, 
ridding it of fear so that we may both live another day.

2/13 with Susie Terence

No comments: