Wednesday, February 22, 2023

WINTER VIOLETS

WINTER VIOLETS

I admire the winter violets and snowdrops 
that arrive each year, even though no one 
is there to witness them, or to marvel 
at their tenaciousness in the lower garden bed, now
a rampage of weeds, tangle of mint & miner’s lettuce. 
I miss the the lily of the valley, and the tiny daphne, 
a gift from a neighbor. I miss the hoary lavender bush, 
the grey-eared sage that grew by the rusted spigot 
down the hill from the tank, to water the herbs 
that seasoned our dinners and gatherings. Gone.
Even the gnarled rosemary bush, I had sense enough 
to clone, its progeny still cling to the hillside. 
The lavender & rue where she spread pillowcases 
out to dry, they took on the odor of our dreams. 
Pillowcases made of flour sacks, the flour logo, visible 
decades later. I miss those long winter nights 
where we stewed rosy rhubarb stalks with ginger & sugar, 
so tart it made our teeth ache, and me, stirring the pot, 
learning to cook with that hunger of a child’s sweet-tooth.
The scent of violet brings me back to those earliest of days 
where the future was unimagined and unfathomable, 
with only the weak sunlight tending the soul of the garden.

2/22/23 Write On! Terri Glass

No comments: