Friday, November 12, 2021

Inside-out & backwards interview (Florida Journals)


Last night in Miami, I thought my interview with Fire Haus Projects went well, but when I got home, I discovered that I had my blouse on inside-out for the entire videotaped interview and poetry reading. You can edit out glitches but you can’t edit out the fact that my shirt will be on inside-out forever. I guess it could’ve been worse, I could’ve had it on both inside-out and backwards. Hopefully no one will notice. Only problem is, that it has these cute little maroon satin strings attached to the shoulders so that I can hang it off a hanger. 

After a full day, snorkeling offshore at the Grecian Rocks in Key Largo, I guess I’m allowed a little eccentricity. Talk about metaphor in action. My host, Lilia Fontana, who originally hailed from Havana, was a lovely hostess. We got on like a house afire.

When I got my first CAC grant to teach poetry I had many early morning classes. At that time I was a night owl and I remember getting to class to teach and looking down and realizing I had my stylin’ shirt on inside out. Thing is, it had shoulder pads. Hard to laugh that one off as a style statement. Oh well. Carry on.

No comments: