According to an article in Inverse, a blogzine, most people can’t speak, let alone read, or write in their dreams—unless they’re poets. It has something to do with where and how language is processed. — The scientific reason why you can’t read while you dream
I can both read and write in my dreams, and often too. Sometimes I even dream of words that I don’t know in real life, and then I have to look them up. They’re usually obscure foreign, or medieval words. I have often written poems in my sleep, sometimes I even wrote them down in my journals, but usually I can’t read my writing when I’m sleep writing. The strangest word I ever dreamed was heriorot of the woods. The other was obliette. I don’t speak French, so I had to ask a French-speaking friend what the word was. No I wasn’t reading a novel with those words either. I dreamt I was in a medieval dungeon when I dreamt of obliette, and I was in the woods when I dreamt of the word heriot inscribed in gothic lettering above the canopy of the woods. At least that word I was able to find on the OED. Sometimes I wake up in the morning saying the lines of a poem that I inscribed during sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment