Saturday, November 7, 2020

Biden is President Elect! The tidal wave of justice

Look, the first image Joe used to thank the nation in a video Tweet,
our family church Our Lady of Loreto, aka St. Mary’s in Nicasio.

Hallelujah! I am thrilled to the moon and back that Joe Biden is president-elect, but I don’t feel the joy I had when Barrak Obama was elected. How do we get back to that joy? 

We have to figure out how to heal a fractured nation at odds with itself. There’s a frightening amount of work still to be done —just to reverse some of the damage that was inflicted during .45’s disastrous tenure. America is at a crossroads.

Like when Covid came along, when the entire world stopped, offering us a chance to change the things we once thought we could not change, I hope we don’t go back to the same old status quo of the Democratic (and Republican) Party system that contributed to this schism. I hope this time is an interregnum of structural rebuilding as it were.

When Obama was elected president, there was hope, and joy. Oakland was one big street party. Neighbors hugging each other. Strangers hugging each other. Everyone walking around with grins so big that their ears were conjoined. I want to get back to that joy. Instead we are wary.

Thank God nothing rhymes with orange. I never want to see that color again. All kinds of emotions are bubbling up now, tears of relief, the years of capped and stoppered grief, rage. I keep taking deep breaths and sighing. Asking, is it over? Is it true? Or merely an alternative ending to a bad nightmare?

I think perhaps now I have the ability to process the place where grief has been a fugitive in hiding for so long. At least now, there is hope. And perhaps the wings of hope will carry us as we get back to work rebuilding our nation. I am tired of living the Divided States of America. 

Plus now we get to take back our hijacked flag. Yes, the work ahead of us will be arduous, but we’re keeping the faith. Indeed, today is a good day. We can breathe again. Finally we can all learn to breathe together again.

As Heaney said, “the longed for wave of justice can rise up and hope and justice rhyme....Believe that farther shore is reachable from here.”

MSNBC just quoted Biden's favorite poem, "The Cure of Troy" by Seamus Heaney:

But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up,
And hope and history rhyme.

No comments: