Tuesday, June 18, 2019

VIRAL HAIKU


Ice cream is what's for dinner.
Fever finally broke but walking
is a surreal experience.

Slept all afternoon.
Yesterday I was so tired
I dozed off in the car.

Isn't it lovely to contemplate
ice cream for dinner and have no guilt?
Remorse, maybe later.

Maybe that wasn't such a bright idea.
Ice cream is hitting my lower gut
with a renewed vengeance.

I got a fierce virus earlier in the year, it seems it has a repeat cycle, at least from everyone I talked to. I am usually in denial whenever I get a virus, always the last to know. So I steamroller ahead, and then get laid low. This One began as an earache, sore throat, and descended to my gut. A real suckerpunch. Yes applesauce works as do bananas. None here at present. Since sauerkraut doubles me over, I don't think I could tolerate it or kimchee. I suffered greatly when I was in the USSR mid-winter as sauerkraut was the only vegetable. I didn't like eating the smoked fat called salo either. Until I began to spontaneously bruise all over, due to a profound lack of sunshine, and not enough meat. Rooster foot borscht didn't do it for me. Suddenly salo was the best thing I ever tasted, but sauerkraut remained on the no can eat list. But ice cream was a big mistake. Yes, I tend to get every virus that comes along, because I work in so many schools, and the SGV Sr Center, serving lunches. I've learned not to touch kids' pencils, or seniors' dirty plates...but even still.

No comments: