Monday, August 20, 2018

Ten years a blogging


Today is an anniversary of sorts. Not only is it my grandmother's birthday, it's also the birthday of my blog. True, I've been on Blogger since January 2007. That's when I created this blog. But I let it lay fallow for more than a year. I was terrified of committing to prose and so, the blank page stayed blank. However, I didn't begin actually begin blogging until August 20, 2008, on my grandmother's birthday—as a way to honor her—because I had stories to tell, after all. It began with the family stories. The crazy family tree. The stuff under the rug you don't want to talk about. And then it branched out to include stories that interested me. From memoir to journalism, with a hefty poetry garnish. What a long, wild ride its been. I still don't know where I'm going with all this, but I do know where I've been. I'm up to 3000 blog entries. Wow. (I have more than 3 dozen fallow drafts in the wings which I need to liberate. I can now add a slew of travel journal entries, now that John Oliver Simon's gone.) Ten years a blogging. Who knew? Happy anniversary, dear Blog, mine own timelne. A chronicle of a life lived. One way or another. Not the life I necessarily wanted. But it's done. In the past. Will I even get another ten years of blogging under my belt? Neither of my parents made it to 70. Where will it go? What format will it take? Only time, that great bogarter, will tell.

See the backstory at Cybernalia and LITERRATA or Veritas and the art of Memoir if you must... or When This Blog Really Began—Aug 2008

No comments: