The Scandinavians are having breakfast in the Lone Pine parking lot at dawn with their rented Harleys. In another century, they would’ve been horses in the parking lot. I can almost understand what the Scandinavians are saying... I
keep thinking that if I tilt my head a little more, just so, it will become
clearer.
Last night I listened to the Norwegians and Finns sing American folk songs badly. But they knew all the words. And they sang with gusto. They've ridden
rented Harleys from San Diego to Zion and are headed towards the chilly fog of San Francisco. Adventure of a lifetime.
They are mostly from Oslo. They're singing Happy Birthday to one of their friends in English. Oddly, I will miss them. Today is a birthday of sorts. They're off to San Francisco. Where will they park all those bikes?
My next door neighbor was from Finland, but didn't speak a word of English. He leaned on his bike in the parking lot and smiled. I tried to communicate, and realized
that Finnish has few cognate words with English. I was hoping that via
the dialectic continuum from English to Norwegian... nope.
I was looking for loanwords. I didn't even know the word for poet in Finnish, so I said Kalevala. It was pretty surreal. He looked startled, laughed, and said I no speak English, coughed over his cigarette, and smiled again. The universal language.
No comments:
Post a Comment