The firebird of dawn only sang for a short moment and Mt Whitney was ablaze. I was not expecting to see
the magenta shadow fading to purple. If I hadn't seen it with my own
eyes, I would've thought the camera was fibbing. The smoke is a prism lens.
The edge of the rainbow's spectrum revealed on the face of Mt. Whitney. I watched the shadow of the White Mountains draped on the Alabama Hills, the sun rose in a
gap in the White Mountains which followed the contour o
f
Whiitney's foothills. Synchronicity. A cradle of light.
When I first got up, the mountains were a drab
dove grey. I was disappointed. But then, sometimes, when you least expect it, magic happened. Sometimes you just have to wait for the right moments to align with the universe. Channeling pure Galen Rowell light
this morning. It's a gift from the gods when you catch a moment like that.
 |
| Lone Pine Peak, a band of magenta above the shadows. |
 |
| A
slightly better photo of Mt. Whitney a few minutes later. |
 |
| And then the color was gone. A lone raven in the sky. |
Later, I visited Galen’s storefront, Mountain Light, to pay homage. And yes, I was talking to a window with his name on it, to tell him a story of mountain light. I got up early for the next several mornings to witness another roseated dawn on the face of Mt. Whitney. It never glowed like that again.
No comments:
Post a Comment