(This piece was originally posted June 20, 2015, but seeking verisimilitude, I've moved each year's reviews to Dec. 31. It's too hard to find them buried mid-year.)
I'm an avid ebook reader and reviewer—I read mostly escape fiction, most of it not so good. Some of it deplorable. But, hey, it's free. And I'm cheap, I'll read just about anything. Especially at 4 AM, when I'm desperate to go back to sleep, and hope I'll nod off from sheer boredom. Sometimes it backfires, I find a great book. Then it's 6AM and I'm owl-eyed.
As I said, I'll read just about anything. But not without some teeth gnashing. So I review some of the ebooks upon occasion. Sometimes I get lucky and even find gems among the dross. They get full five-star rating. Check those authors out. Usually the first book's free....
I consider the review process a good honing skill: I read and mentally edit books as I go. My cousin, tired of listening to me complain about how awful some of those ebooks were, said: Why don't you review them too? (And shut up, already.) And so I did. Another tool in the craft toolkit.
What do I look for when I review a book? Strong plot, storyline, and interesting characters with depth, not flat, stereotypes. Some young writers, not clear on the concept of show, don't tell, rely upon the crutches of rampant consumerism to flesh out their story. Using designer clothing labels to define a character, or to set the scene, and the story reads like an ad. Does the description build our understanding of the character, or plot? Is it necessary to the storyline? Do I need to know the protagonist wore an Ann Klein blouse?
I look for a believable plot, good storyline, and figurative language that doesn't intrude, and subtle intellect. Novels stem from the oral tradition. Storyteller George Sanders says it best:
MoHurley's Amazon Book Reviews 2016
MoHurley's Amazon Book Reviews 2015
My Amazon Book Reviews 2014
My Amazon Book Reviews 2013
MoHurley's Amazon Book Reviews 2016
MoHurley's Amazon Book Reviews 2015
My Amazon Book Reviews 2014
My Amazon Book Reviews 2013
As I said, I'll read just about anything. But not without some teeth gnashing. So I review some of the ebooks upon occasion. Sometimes I get lucky and even find gems among the dross. They get full five-star rating. Check those authors out. Usually the first book's free....
I consider the review process a good honing skill: I read and mentally edit books as I go. My cousin, tired of listening to me complain about how awful some of those ebooks were, said: Why don't you review them too? (And shut up, already.) And so I did. Another tool in the craft toolkit.
What do I look for when I review a book? Strong plot, storyline, and interesting characters with depth, not flat, stereotypes. Some young writers, not clear on the concept of show, don't tell, rely upon the crutches of rampant consumerism to flesh out their story. Using designer clothing labels to define a character, or to set the scene, and the story reads like an ad. Does the description build our understanding of the character, or plot? Is it necessary to the storyline? Do I need to know the protagonist wore an Ann Klein blouse?
I look for a believable plot, good storyline, and figurative language that doesn't intrude, and subtle intellect. Novels stem from the oral tradition. Storyteller George Sanders says it best:
"...the process of crafting a good story means not condescending to your reader. It means creating sentences that clue them into something unnoticed about the character, and allowing them to figure it out. “A bad story is one where you know what the story is and you're sure of it," he says in this short film, George Saunders: On Story."
Then there's the actual structure of the story. Check out the Blake Snyder Beat Sheet: opening image (backstory), set-up (dilemma), theme/catalyst/debate, acts 1 & 2, intro of storyline B, premise, enter the bad guys, dark night of the soul, act 3 (with help from Storyline B), finale, final image/epilogue. Finis. I love the liveliness of this layout, replete with examples. Less dry than English 1A's plot breakdown, as exposition, and denouement and everything in between, both eluded and deluded me. (Why couldn't they just say setup, conflict, and resolution? See also The Five Elements of Plot Structure.)
Then there are the typos, and poor craft. It's a bad omen when the writer has typos in the synopsis. I generally won't download a book if it does. And then there are the stories that have typos on page one. Really? If an author doesn't know the difference between it's and its, it does not bode well for the "sullied craft" of writing. Possessive apostrophes do not need to precede every single word that ends with ess. Doorknobs don't need to possess the room, unless, of course, they're possessed. But that's another kettle of fish entirely.
Please mosey on over and LIKE some of my reviews. Amazon's all about Like, just like on Facebook. Except, like, the buttons are, like, different. My older reviews are buried deep. But the most recent ones should be fairly easy to access.
Go to MoHurley's Amazon Reviews click on the comments section under my review and that will take you to the review where you can like it. Click on that Yes button under my review as it boosts my ratings.... And then I get Amazon brownie points. Ridiculous, I know.
I began, in 2013 with an even more ridiculous score of 3-point-4-million-something from the top of the reviewers' list, and I am slowly wending my way forward, to 26,578th in line. I'd love to make 25,000th in line. I am (not) a number! A friend liked 3 reviews (truthfully I had 249 liked reviews, now I have 251) and my ranking improved. I am 24,762. Thank you Carol!
I've also posted some shorter versions of these reviews on Goodreads, but I find the format so tedious, I don't often visit. Don't know how long I'll keep it up.
Then there are the typos, and poor craft. It's a bad omen when the writer has typos in the synopsis. I generally won't download a book if it does. And then there are the stories that have typos on page one. Really? If an author doesn't know the difference between it's and its, it does not bode well for the "sullied craft" of writing. Possessive apostrophes do not need to precede every single word that ends with ess. Doorknobs don't need to possess the room, unless, of course, they're possessed. But that's another kettle of fish entirely.
Please mosey on over and LIKE some of my reviews. Amazon's all about Like, just like on Facebook. Except, like, the buttons are, like, different. My older reviews are buried deep. But the most recent ones should be fairly easy to access.
Go to MoHurley's Amazon Reviews click on the comments section under my review and that will take you to the review where you can like it. Click on that Yes button under my review as it boosts my ratings.... And then I get Amazon brownie points. Ridiculous, I know.
I began, in 2013 with an even more ridiculous score of 3-point-4-million-something from the top of the reviewers' list, and I am slowly wending my way forward, to 26,578th in line. I'd love to make 25,000th in line. I am (not) a number! A friend liked 3 reviews (truthfully I had 249 liked reviews, now I have 251) and my ranking improved. I am 24,762. Thank you Carol!
- Oops! Now I'm 25,278 with 253 helpful votes. Statistical vagaries. — 6/30
- I'm ranked at 24,288, with 300 helpful votes, 77% helpful —11/26
- Today I'm at ranking in at 24,001, with 331 helpful votes. Yes! Thank you! Amazon's revising its webpages and has done away with some stats. Apparently I also have zero followers, and am following no one. Not only do I have to ask people to like my reviews, but now I need to get people to follow me? Urg. Who knew that Amazon was remaking itself over as AzFB?—12/18
At one point I was keeping all my reviews in one post, but they got swallowed up by the archives, and even I couldn't find them, so I'm dividing them up by year, and reposting them at the end of the year. Really glad I didn't opt for posting them on the day written. I'd never find them all. Small niggling typos, missing commas, and sentences lacking clarity here, have been corrected on Amazon, but not necessarily here. Forgive me, it's too hard to find, and replace them as it's an ongoing process, this revision, even on reviews! Mea culpea.
TO READ MORE REVIEWS, PLEASE VISIT:
MoHurley's Amazon Book Reviews 2017MoHurley's Amazon Book Reviews 2016
MoHurley's Amazon Book Reviews 2015
My Amazon Book Reviews 2014
My Amazon Book Reviews 2013
|
| ||||||||||
This review is from: Unexpected Kisses (A Castle Mountain Lodge Romance Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition) 2014
OK, so I couldn't help myself, I had to compare the versions/redactions of Unexpected Gifts (Kisses—or whatever it's called—how many different titles and book covers can you give the same story?).
There are definitely changes in the storyline from the current chaste version of Unexpected Gifts. But I am a bit put off by the two (or is it three?) versions, as Elena Aitken changed the storyline in the current revamp of Unexpected Gifts. The current version Unexpected Gifts not as good as the first release of this book that I had downloaded ages ago, and this version, Unexpected Kisses (aka Unexpected Gifts—the steamy version), seems to be a mishmash of the two other versions, or maybe I'm now tired of reading it. Reading it once was lovely, reading it twice was annoying, reading it 2.5 times was pure torture. So two.five stars it is. Perhaps I shouldn't have revisited this one. Once was enough. The conclusion to this version, and the other versions, is a very short story, called Unexpected Endings. But calling it a novella is far too generous, and it should have been added to both versions of this story as an epilogue. So I'm calling the whole thing off. I'm done with this author who can't seem to make up her mind as to how the story should go. I've completely lost faith in her ability as a writer. Sad, as I enjoyed reading the very first version a couple of years ago. If you can't remember what you've read from one book to the next, then you'll enjoy it. It truly is escaped fiction. | |||||||||||
|
| |||||||||
This review is from: Unexpected Endings (A Castle Mountain Lodge Romance Series) (Kindle Edition)
Unexpected Endings is a companion novella that provides an ending to the story of Andi and Colin from Unexpected Gifts—aka Unexpected Kisses, the steamy version of the same story— (Castle Mountain Lodge Book 1). It's a light Christmas romance, set a year later, about the happily-ever-after ending to finding the perfect guy. But by the time I got to this storybook ending, I was both underwhelmed and annoyed by the two versions of the first story, Unexpected Gifts/Kisses, and quite frankly, I couldn't figure out why Elena Aitken didn't just conclude the story in Book 1 to begin with.
If you want closure, Unexpected Endings will wrap up the Andi-Colin romance from Unexpected Beginnings—aka Unexpected Kisses. At least it's free. Sadly, I think I'm done with this author. Too much of a one-horse town. | ||||||||||
|
| ||||||||||
This review is from: Unexpected Gifts (Castle Mountain Lodge Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Every little once and a while an ebook I've read, resurfaces on BookBub, etc., and I find myself fondly remembering having read it. Canadian writer Elena Aitken's Unexpected Gifts (Castle Mountain Lodge Book 1), is a light Christmas romance. It's been two years since I've read it, so I don't remember every detail. Sure, because it's about finding the perfect guy, there's a happily-ever-after improbability factor to it, but it's also an enjoyable read. Perfect for the holidays. And it's free.
Party planner, and Christmas grinch, Andi Williams accepts a promo invite to remote Castle Mountain Lodge, a safe haven to un-celebrate Christmas. She's somewhat estranged from her family: her father's child bride and new family, her mother, who now plays for the other team, is on a cruise with Val, and Andi's definitely estranged from her ex's family. Grieving for her ex, Blaine Porter, who walked out on her after she had a stillborn daughter, Andi's in the throes of despair. The premise: Can Andi find happiness again? No room at the inn. On the Winter Solstice, she heads up the mountains. Enter ex-pat playboy Colin Hartford, a room mixup, and a blizzard. A flash of recognition. He's Blaine's childhood chum. Andi met him last year in Santa Lucia. Colin's a player. But Andi literally has nowhere to go, and the blizzard is raging, the highway's closed, so they share the villa, and.... well, you'll just have to read it to find out what happens next. However, the ending's a tad flat, Aitken utilizes her characters Andi and Colin in another book—a novella ending, there's more to their story, but this is a standalone novel, not a cliffhanger. Unexpected Kisses, also free, is the steamy version of Unexpected Gifts. I've read bits of it to compare the two versions side by side, I prefer the old version of the story. Not sure if I want to revisit it entirely for the naughty bits. VERSION ONE-POINT-TWO OK, so I couldn't help myself, I had to compare versions/redactions of Unexpected Gifts, there are definitely changes in the storyline. In the latest download (here), Colin is not Blaine's friend...they didn't meet in Santa Lucia... (in the 2011 version of this publication, they do). To say the least, I was confused as the Look Inside feature which carries the old 2011 storyline. Which seems to now be the steamy version of the story. But I am a bit put off by the two, mebbe three versions, as Elena Aitken changed the storyline in this current revamp of Unexpected Gifts (3.1). It's not as good as the first release of the book, so three stars. Perhaps I shouldn't have revisited it. Once was enough. AND THE ENDING Unexpected Endings is a companion novella that provides an ending to the story of Andi and Colin from Unexpected Gifts—aka Unexpected Kisses. It's the happily-ever-after ending to finding the perfect guy. But by the time I got to it, I was both underwhelmed and annoyed by the two versions of the story, and quite frankly, I couldn't figure out why Elena Aitken didn't just conclude the story in Book 1 to begin with. If you want closure, vs. the full dis-clothes-ure of Unexpected Kisses (vs Gifts), also download Unexpected Endings to wrap up the Andi-Colin romance. At least it's free. | |||||||||||
|
| |||||||||||||||||||||||
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
This review is from: Mac Travis Adventures Box Set (Books 1-4): Includes - Wood's Relic, Wood's Reef, Wood's Wall, Wood's Wreck (Kindle Edition)
Book 1, Wood's Relic: Wood, a bridge engineer, down on his luck, lands a repair job from local land developer, Braken, with ties to the Mob, who wants to open a casino. Wood's love of the bottle is legendary, and when he meets Mac Travis, escaping from the oil rings and a bad relationship, Braken's shady bridge project just might save them both. But they find a relic at the base of the bridge which opens up a can of worms, and the treasure hunt is on. Wood's Relic has a great storyline, plot, exciting subject, and an entertaining read.
But characters are predictable, not fleshed out, and Becker's writing style is opaque; it doesn't always flow. You have to work at it. I found myself rereading descriptive passages. Huh? What is the author trying to say? There are a few critical missing nouns in sentences, and some odd typos, but it's bearable. Wrong word usage: "I'm ought'a here." Ought is not "out of." It should be "outta" here, for slang. And "moon has risen and shown"—should be "shone." Several common nouns have unnecessary apostrophes (stylistic differences). The game's called jai alai, not JaiLai. Even I know that, as there are jai alai club signs all over Maimi. Misspelled character name: Bracken/Kracken. Don't think it's on purpose, but it's funny, as in The Kraken. A curiosity: no real time frame is established, other than a reference to Hurricane Andrew (1992), until author mentions the new large portable cellphone, not the kind in a bag (analog). Now that's old, ca 1983! But the technology's off as there were 2G digital cellular networks in 1990, the Nokia was the size of a cordless landline phone, and the first IBM smartphone debutted in 1993. Onward to Book Two. Becker's writing style improves in Wood's Reef, it's easier to read. Mac Travis takes center stage in this novel. Wood's retired, holed up and living off grid on his own hidden key. Novel opens with a prologue flashback set in 1962, and time present is set post Hurricane Katrina (2005).... Mac finds a nuclear warhead while fishing and word gets out.... But there are some timeline issues: Mac says he came to the Keys in the 80s or 90s, but in Book 1, Mac arrived after Hurricane Andrew 1992. More coming. I'm still reading it, and am giving author benefit of the doubt with three stars. Preview: Are you kidding me? A grammatical typo in the second paragraph of the freakin' Amazon preview? And in the ebook? What's with that? I will read the series, as I love the Florida Keys. Here's hoping that the actual novels are not riddled with typos. I'll give the author the benefit of doubt and reassess my rating at the end. But this does not bode well. "...a wayward boat blown loose from it's mooring." a wayward boat blown loose from it is mooring? Its, without an apostrophe, is a possessive (ownership) pronoun it. (We don't write hi's, so why it's? It's, with an apostrophe, is a contraction of it + is or it + has. The ship owns its mooring. As in ownership. Couldn't resist the pun.
| ||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
| |||||||||
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Last Chance Motel 1 (Last Chance Romance Series) (Kindle Edition)
Last Chance Motel is entertaining but it's not a fully fleshed out story and I found myself questioning the author's intent. Was she in a hurry, did she mean to rush over that last scene, leaving us hanging, what about veracity?
In the Josiah Reynolds Death By Honeybee series, Abigail Keam is a top notch writer, the stories are rich, and layered with figurative language, and there are few, if any, typos. Yes, I really do highlight authors' typos. I'm that kind of reader. Some weak-kneed writing gave me pause: I have issues with unnecessary apostrophes when lower case nouns and objects need to possessively own things. Usually it's a sign of writer weakness. The motel's logo? Motel logo is fine. The hotel's property? (Insert raspberry sound here). No apostrophe is needed, but a sentence overhaul would be better. If Eva's new love interest, Mike is such a raging diabetic, why on earth is he eating chocolate cake and drinking wine? His kiss...was lightening fast... Really it was in utero? How placental. LIGHTNING please, fergawdsakes. Baby cat? Everyone knows what a kitten is. BTW, they don't EAT milk. Drink, yes. Character's veracity is called into question when Eva leaves the wet kitten to take a shower and change her clothes first? Wow, her priorities are not in order. Most people would dry off a shivering kitten first, then feed it, not take a shower first. So, when all is said and done, now she sleeps with a still-wet kitten? Ohh-kay. No way it fluff-dried during a storm, not with that humidity. Explanation of a john boat would be nice. I got to thinking of toilets, or heads with open hatches. Wrong image. Again, a character's veracity is called to question: when Mike saves Eva from the raging storm, he changes her clothes and puts her to bed without treating her head wound or looking at her lacerated bleeding foot which is wrapped in a garbage bag? But he gives himself a shot of insulin. What about all that blood? C'mon Abigail, flesh out the story more....don't be slovenly. Don't rush over scenes. This story reads like a draft and it needs to go back to the writers' workshop team. That said, I loved the basic storyline, Eva's rebirth, she's a great new character. I loved the story of the rescued manatee, the lap iguana, the flamingo sign, meeting the locals of Key Largo (sounds like Abigail visited the Sundowner Cafe—love those rolling tarpons). BTW, speaking of veracity, there is no mention of the clouds of mangrove mosquitos waiting for fresh blood, and they are particularly fierce in Key Largo. Suggest the author also watch the classic movie, Key Largo, for more background. Last Chance Motel is a darned sight better than most of the romantic novels that populate Amazon's low rent Kindle space. But I expected more. As a series, it has great potential, if the author takes the time to flesh out her stories. | ||||||||||
|
|
| ||||||||||||
This review is from: The House on Via Gombito, Second Edition: Writing by American Women Abroad (A New Rivers Abroad Book) (Paperback)
The House on Via Gombito: Writing by American Women Abroad, an omnibus of personal essay, expository writing, memoir, poetry, and fiction selections, is organized by region. Nearly fifty women writers from North America contributed to this genre published, long before the likes of Cheryl Strayed, Elizabeth Gilbert, and other women traveller-writers came into the limelight. These women writers were pioneers exploring the inner emotional landscape of travel, as well as the tough reality of a woman traveling alone, in a genre solidly set in a male-dominated world of heroic adventure writing.
The revised 1997 second edition of House on Via Gombito, is great collection of stories with a new introduction to complement the second collection, Tanzania on Tuesday. Full disclosure: I have a memoir about traveling across the USSR, Night Train to Moscow, in the 1991 first edition of House on Via Gombito. | ||||||||||||||
|
|
| ||||||||||||
This review is from: House On Via Gombito: Writing by North American Women Abroad (Paperback)
Nearly fifty women writers from North America contributed to this extraordinary anthology, published in 1991, long before the likes of Cheryl Strayed, Elizabeth Gilbert, and other women traveller-writers came into the limelight. These women writers were pioneers exploring the inner emotional landscape of travel, as well as the outer landscapes, in a genre solidly set in a male-dominated world of heroic adventure writing.
House on Via Gombito, a mix of essay, memoir, poetry, and fiction selections, is organized by region: from Africa to Zambia. Full disclosure: I have a memoir piece about traveling across the USSR, Night Train to Moscow, in House on Via Gombito. Thank you Bill Truesdale, New Rivers Press editor extraordinaire, wherever you may be, riding that great zephyr in the sky, for reading my zany eleventh-hour email and seeing a potential story in it. And Madelon Sprengnether for shepherding this anthology into being, not once, but twice—as well as producing a second collection, Tanzania on Tuesday. | ||||||||||||||
|
|
| ||||||||||||
This review is from: Writing the Rails: Train Adventures By the World's Best-Loved Writers (Hardcover)
Writing the Rails is an extraordinary compendium: a collection of 101 train travel stories, mostly in the form of essays, memoir, and historic accounts, but also poetry and fiction—from noted and burgeoning authors—reflecting the origins of train travel from the glory days of the Iron Horse, to time present. From boarding the faded opulence of the Orient Express, and Paul Theroux's gritty travels on the Patagonia Express, to exploring the steamy bowels of the New York City subway, the steel rail hums a melancholy melody.
Featured writers include Mark Twain, Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson, Langston Hughes, W.H. Auden, John Dos Passos, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and more. This book deserved better treatment than being remaindered right after it was released, due to the catastrophic events of 9/11. So glad to see it listed on Amazon after being left in the dark (or at the train station), for over a decade. It deserves to be read. There's literally something for every reader. All aboard! Can you hear that lonesome whistle blowing? It's a hobo's lullaby. Full disclosure: I also have a memoir piece in Writing the Rails, about traveling across the USSR, Night Train to Moscow, originally published in House on Via Gombito by New Rivers Press. Thank you Bill Truesdale, editor, wherever you may be, riding that great zephyr in the sky, for taking my zany eleventh-hour email and seeing a story in it. | ||||||||||||||
|
| ||||||||||
Keeping a promise to his mother, Duddy Dean comes home again after a two-years absence to reckon with his past and deal with the reoccurring amnesia from a childhood accident that continues to haunt him. His father Brandon, a lawman who went missing two years ago, is key to the story but the trail is cold. Can Duddy pick up the threads, and remember, and solve the mystery, thus healing himself? You'll meet strong outrageous over-the-the-top womenfolk who run the tribe, and flawed men who are running their own show, running from the law, or both. Perdido River Bastard is a prodigal story, a Southern epic worthy of Pat Conroy's Prince of Tides with a little Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury tossed in. It's a great read. I was reminded of Fried Green Tomatoes, Cold Sassy Tree and the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. But you, Dear Reader, will need to work diligently to keep track of multiple storylines, and all the characters—especially how they're all related. A few well-placed family trees would've enhanced the story greatly, as I was relatively lost most of the time. I lost track long before Sharon was introduced as Duddy Dean's girlfriend. But my mind was so thoroughly entangled in this kudzu-vine of a story, I kept on reading, trusting that the author would lead me safely out of the swamp. There are epic stories and vignettes that will keep you enthralled and entertained. This is no light fluffy read, you will work hard but the reward is that you'll also become emotionally invested in the somewhat confusing tale. But it's a story well worth your time. You will be transformed by the time you reach the last page. The epiphany. The Aha! And that's what a great novel is supposed to do.
| |||||||||||
|
| |||||||||||||||||||||||
|
A delightful cozy mystery tale of young Flora Lively, who inherited her father's flailing moving business. She cares deeply for the well-being the elderly clients she's moved to the Maples Retirement Village in rural Shropshire. Joy, in particular, who has become like a surrogate grandmother, reports back that a childhood enemy had moved in, he's there to do her in, and residents on the Third Floor wing are mysteriously dying off too soon. With the help of her manager, Marshall, Flora uncovers a crime ring, prevents a murder, and despite her bumbling ways, saves the day, and some lives.
A well written, witty, entertaining read, and a good, solid writer. I can almost overlook the fact that Joanne Phillips forgot to capitalize Dad when it was used as a proper noun. I think we will be seeing more of the Flora Lively character. I was also delighted to find that Joanne Phillips also wrote another purr-fectly silly story, as told from a cat's point of view, Cupid's Way. Check it out.
| ||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
French Fried is a book that languished in my Kindle "to read" slushpile, despite having all the right ingredients to snag me as a reader: horses, south of France, memoir. I don't know why I waited so long, perhaps Peter Mayle is my touchstone. But steampunk novelist Chris Dolley is a funny, tongue-in-cheeky writer, with a lively, engaging style, and the memoir (set in the 1990s), is hugely entertaining. Chris and Shelagh had more than the fair share of harrowing experiences from battling with recalcitrant French authorities, unscrupulous contractors, to stolen passports and identity theft, and being swindled by a nefarious ex-pat, and they survived to tell a right-rolicking tale.
The structure of the book is crisis-driven, or, will the English couple survive the next outrageous onslaught of misfortune? Getting the horses and the lurcher to France, or animals behaving badly. The joys of house-hunting and remodeling. Getting a car, insurance, and a license. Identity theft, parts one and two. Sherlocking it. Getting one's identity back. My only minor complaint is that Chris Dolley's over-the-top writing style offers little respite. Sometimes less is more. British ex-pat, Victoria Twead, who also writes memoirs of relocating to Spain, is a less accomplished writer, but easier to read. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and am glad the Dolleys survived their harrowing adventures and lived to tell their tale with grace and aplomb.
| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
This was originally posted June 20, 2015, but seeking verisimilitude, I've moved each year's reviews to Dec. 31. It's too hard to find them buried mid-year. Since it's not yet Dec. 31, I'm moving this to today. That will change. Take that, web crawlers!
I reposted the first 50 Amazon reviews on my blog, but then I keep going back and revising them and then I can't remember which review to update. So these may be slightly different that what's up on the Amazon page.
TO READ MORE REVIEWS, PLEASE VISIT:MoHurley's Amazon Book Reviews 2016
MoHurley's Amazon Book Reviews 2015
My Amazon Book Reviews 2014
My Amazon Book Reviews 2013































2 comments:
Thanks for reviewing my novel VALLEY OF THRACIANS! You pointed out a few wrong word choices, and because I am able to update the book, I will make those corrections. So thanks for this as well - much appreciated!
Dear Ellis,
Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. Lovely to know that my reviews sometimes are read. Over at Amazon, I languish, I despair, thinking no one reads my reviews at all. Why do I bother? Please do visit my Amazon reviews page too, and leave a comment, and click that Yes button on a few reviews while you're at it. I really did enjoy your book and am looking forward to reading more from you. so I have a structural question: why did you choose time present for the emails?
Maureen
Post a Comment