Thursday, December 31, 2015

Last day of the year, Farallones, photo

 


A macaw-colored sky. Last sunset of the year, floating islands of the Farallones from the tip of Point Reyes, The air was so clear, it looked like you could touch them. They're part of Point Reyes' lost siblings. Soon the Point will become an island too. Island moving north. Think I finally killed my camera, all the photos came out too dark, but this one, gaudy as it is, worked. It breaks the rules. Never divide a photo directly in half, it's static (unless it's the Farallones). Don't shoot clichés like sunsets and islands (unless it's the Farallones). Don't shoot in low light sans tripod, avoid pixellation and noise. Image was loaded with burned sunspots from pointing it at the sun, burning the processor. I don't think it'll recover. I was able to clone the sunspots out of the sky. I left one sunspot in the lower left corner as a reminder. The upper left corner looked like a pong table gone mad. Who knew that reflected water off Schooner Creek after 4 PM on one of the shortest afternoon of the year would completely fry my camera in multiple corners? I've fried other cameras before, and undoubtably will fry more cameras in the future, and since the sunspots are usually in the upper corners of the sky, I took to shooting pohotos upside down (the camera, not me) to avoid the sunspots. Damage control was not possible this time. I was so distressed I didn't even look at the photos the next year. Editing was a nightmare. So this is a salvage job.

© Maureen Hurley 2015

No comments: