Sunday, December 27, 2015

Chilly weather


If the house was any colder, you'd think I was in Siberia by the way I'm dressed. Ohchin cholodna. Wish I could light a fire. Those days are long gone...so I layer and layer and layer.

A favorite pair of motheaten gloves, becomes the new fashion statement. I cut the fingertips off so I can write. I 'm wearing two sweaters, a flannel nightie, a down vest, and jacket, fingerless gloves, hood, down blankie, Toasty now. I think it's warming up, around 40° as I can see my breath. A cold nose is an occupational hazard.

Thermostat is daid daid daid. Thermostat went out ages ago, luckily we've had such mild winters, so it's not been an issue. Brrr. it's been in the low 40s. Maybe even the high 30s.

I absolutely hate using the furnace. Can't stand the stink, but today it's warmer, but I still have to find a new thermostat. If it's the old copper wire leading to the thermostat that's at fault, we're screwed. Where's Ebeneezer, you ask? Heater's been kaput for at least five years, maybe longer...it just hasn't been that cold. Oakland's nowhere near as cold as Forest Knolls.

A cold friend has suddenly taken up baking marathons, as she couldn't get the furnace to work. My thermostat is newish, but broken, and I HATE the gas heater. It stinks, gives me blinding headaches, and yes, we've a carbon monoxide reader...

It's practically toasty today at 46°.  Not as cold today. But I'm wearing layers. I have a saltsock neck warmer. If it gets that cold again tonight, I'll zap it.

Old house, wattle & daub (almost that old, it's wood slats and plaster—pre sheetrock days). But the bonus is that the heating bill is very low: only the stove and water heater. 

I'm not exactly convinced burning wood fires is as bad as the Clean Air Control Board says. If you're burning real wood, that is, not presto logs. Colder than a witches' tit.

No comments: