Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Fall fever


Ugh, day 3 of virus, no more sore throat or dull earache, but everything has that strange new penny feeling, an odd synaesthesia of light and sound, lets me know I ain't quite out of the woods yet. Acute hearing out of both ears at once is vastly overrated. Worse than a hangover. I only made it worse by being in denial about it. 

One thing good about a raging virus is that I've read a string of bad ebooks & haven't had apoplexy over myriad typos. Simple plural nouns don't need apostrophes, just because it's spelled right doesn't mean it's  the right word. And what's with authors evading com pound  words? It's a safe bet that if an Amazon book teaser is spangled with gratuitous apostrophes & typos, that I won't download the ebook. Just sayin'.

I found a poem I had written Aug 20, Cluster Sneeze—where I was sneezing so hard, I lost my brains. That must've been inception of this virus. Yes, I had a bout of it a while ago—replete with earache and headaches. It's like it dribbles out the symptoms in drabs so it's not so obvious. Sneaky, crafty virus. Mimics allergies. Had me fooled for quite some time as Sudafed takes care of the earache. I was beginning to run through a mental list of obscure diseases—including the plague—like a first-year med student. Now the symptoms have stacked up like a domino race. Gotcha! I could do without the jelly-knees, though. Uh-oh, want a little nappy-poo. I NEVER nap. Definitely still in the woods.

Speaking of obscure symptoms. The mice are back. I bumped Big Mama off but Junior is still on the lam. How's that for a plague segue? Junior is the size of a quarter. Too small to trigger the traps, he snags the pecans and makes a run for it. I now have acute cat's hearing but not the reflexes to go with it. Probably a good thing or I'll be leaving little prezzies on the doorstep for Neil. I have 10 mouse traps set TEN! And Junior climbs right over them, he's so small, they don't even snap. I am thinking of velcro, sticky fly paper, or hair wax removal gunk. I once accidentally caught a mouse with the gunk when it spilled over. Really, really.

No comments: