Saturday, June 15, 2013

Warriors' Parade

Sounds like Vietnam, 1967, outside, large choppers have been hovering overhead for the past hour. You can feel the pulse of their blades. What's going down in the hood? Are we living in a Bladerunner dystopia? Someone said it was for The Warriors' Parade preparation. Three million people are out there, meandering with intent. Cars driving up and down MacArthur Boulevard, decked in Warriors flags, honking their horns, circling the block, looking for parking spots in all the wrong places. I am so not a sports fan. Last time I saw this sort of mayhem it was for the 49ers Super Bowl ca. 1981 in San Francisco. Dudes were shimmying up the street lamps and stoplights and screaming like gibbons. Joe Montana was the hero of the hour. Then the mass destruction began to go crowd ugly. As the helicopters make another pass over our cottage, I can feel the compression of their spinning blades—even inside the house. It sets my adrenaline dancing. This is going to be a long day and an even longer night. I hope there won’t be riots. Go Warriors! 

No comments: