I sent Andrei Codrescu a jpg of the just released Life of Crime.
Andrei,
Have you seen the book yet? At long last....
Maureen
He said, It' a wonderful book! What scurrilous characters! What grand times! Fine pics, too, made me nostalgic (a bit). Oh, Ron, we love you! We were such boys! And now they write books about us we didn't even preorder! I'm enjoying Andrew Epstein's BEAUTIFUL ENEMIES -- I met him in Florida, read the intro on the plane. Terrific.O yes, when you were such boys! I grew up on some of those tales—er—should I say tails? Marianne Ware's young daughter Laurie (now my landlady!) couldn't get your name right, and called you Andrei Undressyou which had something to do with you ravaging some young willowy sweet young thang (a poet-ess, no less?) over the top of of the McPhail's propane tank....OMG, I miss those days!
He said: A propane tank? Boy, were we limber!I continued: Somebody on Facebook found my name—and wanted to know if I was the one doing standup at West of the Laguna, Sebastopol ca 1980. Er, I thought it was poetry (sigh). But then Alastair Johnston says he treats all his poetry readings like standup comedy. There's comedy in that.
Worth it all just to see Ron Silliman snort & fart over "Life of Crime." Ah, yes, those were the days. Maybe we should sic some Jeffrey Miller poems on Ron—or maybe a copy of Huntsie's treatise on Brooklyn Bridge...
I see my photo of Hunce Voelcker made its way to Exquisite Corpse—thx for giving me photo credit BTW. Must've been Pat Nolan that sent it to you. Weirdly, I can still hear Hunce's laugh in my mind's ear—after all these years...
If you want more geezer pix, I'll be posting them in my Poet Archives album—and if you want pix of someone in particular who haunted The River ca 1980-1996, I might have a negative or two somewheres. Sorry, none of you...
Maureen

No comments:
Post a Comment