Sunday, August 23, 2009

Nickel the Bison



I wonder what the heifer thought of the bison? It looks like the only romance going on was with the hay. Old Man Nunes was so proud of his bison calf. What was he thinking? They're completely unpredictable and are like bulldozers when it comes to fences.

There's a backstory, bison are part of the fabric of my childhood—when I was a kid, there was another bison—yes, we called them buffalo—in Nicasio right by the church. The only reason why Belle the Buffalo stayed put in the church pasture was because she liked the cows. I used to save my buffalo head nickels and named them all Belle. Then one hopped up Saturday night some hoodlums came out and shot the poor buffalo for no reason at all. Or, so the story goes. We were all devastated.

So when Nickel showed up, we were all insane with joy. I used to take my grandmother up to the Nunes ranch for a visit. It was a case of Meet the new family pet, Nickel. I wonder what happened to the little bison when Old Man Nunes died. He was fence resistant as I recall. The bison, not Mr. Nunes. Now there are fancy houses on Portola Road (the fire road) once my own private Eden, and I can't imagine they'd tolerate a wayward bison.



(Maureen Hurley photos)
from a Facebook photo album

No comments: