Thursday, November 20, 2008

Pádraigín McGillicuddy, "A Terrible Beauty"

Maureen Hurley From Literrata

While writing a blog on Seamus Heaney, I was checking on some fact and I was saddened to discover the passing of Bay Area Irish cultural activist, author and producer of an Irish radio show during the 1980s, "A Terrible Beauty," KPFA/KPFK FMs, Padraigin McGillicuddy. According to Macha's blog, Pádraigín died in Ireland in 2006. (Her daughter Kerry later wrote that it was in 2003. See comments below.)

I guess we're getting to that long in tooth age where the (e)mail brings more sad news than glad tidings. So many poets and artists passing this year—the great Palestinian poet Mahmoud Darweesh, Belgian's Laureate poet, Hugo Claus, Hayden Carruth, Navajo author Tony Hillerman, science fiction giants Michael Crichton, Sir Arthur C. Clarke.

In 2008, we also lost explorer Sir Edmund Hillary (Everest has never recovered), Irish American comedian George Carlin, blues legend Bo Diddley, even South African anti Apartheid activist, songbird, Miriam Makeba who just had a heart attack in the wings, after a show in Naples. Also gravelly Ronnie Drew, founder of The Dubliners.

And now, after a long bout with cancer, founder of New College Irish Studies, Danny Cassidy, author of “How the Irish Invented Slang,” is gone from us too.

I want to write to honor people who've inspired me, who've had an impact on my life and my art. Pádraigín was among them. Her arena was the spoken word.

I really only knew Pádraigín McGillicuddy from afar but she was a one-woman force of nature. Pádraigín's acerbic wit and no-nonsense intellect ever spurred me onward. I rarely listened to the radio when I lived in Forestville during the late 1970s and '90s as it was difficult getting reception ringed by steep coastal mountains and tall redwoods but Pádraigín's show was well worth the bother.

I first met Pádraigín at a Rose of Tralee pageant in the early '70s (or so I thought), and then again along with musicologist and linguist Jim Duran (Séamas Ó Direáin) and harpist Sharon Devlin Folsom at the Treasures of Early Irish Art exhibit at the San Francisco De Young Museum ca. 1977? It was the first time that most of the artifacts had ever left Ireland, including the Ardagh Chalice and the Book of Kells, so there was a lot of hubbub around the exhibit. Some pieces never made it across the Pond, as they were too fragile to ship.

You can still find the museum catalogue, 'Treasures of Early Irish Art: 1500 B.C. to 1500 A.D. From the Collections of the National Museum of Ireland, Royal Irish Academy, Trinity College, Dublin" online. The Irish sent their most precious treasures to a series of museums across the American continent. I think it came to San Francisco before it went to the Met in New York but that doesn't make sense, and I can't find a reference. The book was in its 3rd printing by 1977. I remember we had to wait to get a copy. Anyone remember it?

In the late '80s or early '90s, Pádraigín later moved out to the Russian River, Occidental—I think—at least that's where we'd sometimes run into each other at the coffee shop or at events when I was still running the Russian River Writers' Guild poetry series. She'd invited me over for tea and I always meant to visit but never did... We had a mutual interest in Ella Young, as my childhood friend Micaela Carr's mother, Rosalind Sharpe Wall, knew her from the Bixby Canyon days of Big Sur.

But I was way over my head trying to survive at teaching poetry in the schools, finding and creating my own funding sources, writing grants, writing poetry, and writer-photographer-darkroom technician and newspaper deliverer for a chronically flailing alternative West County newspaper, The Paper (now The Bohemian), that I had little time for socializing.

We had grantwriting in common—she was editing a book on grants administration and fundraising in San Francisco. I remember one crisp winter afternoon, the both of us leaning on the hood of my truck, soaking up sunshine and talking grants. But she was in a whole other league than me. There's a copy of her grants compilation in, of all places, the King Saud University Libraries in Saudi Arabia! There's gotta be a story there.

Then I lost track of Pádraigín. I think she moved back to Oakland. I saw her at various Irish cultural and literary events from time to time. Last time I saw her was at a restaurant after a literary event (Finnegan's Awake?) with Jennifer Stone. They were bookends—the fine grand dames of letters, sipping wine wine in late afternoon. I don't recall what all we talked about but perhaps in the writing, memory will awaken. I might have even taken pictures....

Macha said "Pádraigín used to live in a huge old Victorian in Oakland, said to have been the childhood home of Gertrude Stein. She who is said to have said of Oakland, "There is no there there." I can't say what Oakland was like in the late 18th century when Gertrude lived there, but I find plenty there now."

Last I heard, she'd moved to Galway.

Some other references I found on the web were: No There There By Chris Rhomberg. The Irish in West Oakland, an oral history conducted 1982 by Kathryn Hughes, Padraigin McGillicuddy, Pamela Morton, and Sally Thomas.

KPFA Archives 1981-1994: Folk Music from Near and Far Out A Terrible Beauty. Old and new music from the Celtic regions, hosted by Pádraigín McGillicuddy.

Somebody had the presence of mind to record some of her later radio shows, and the tapes are listed as being stored at Stanford Dept. of Special Collections, and at Willamette University's Pacifica Tape Library.

At AudioPort.com, under Pacifica Radio Archives there's a downloadable fragment from Patriarch Revealed and “Six Variations On A Theme of Blarney,” with Bernadette Devlin McAliskey. You must be a member of a Pacifica affiliate station to play audio. Anyone able to get a copy? Jack Foley?

Pádraigín interviewed hundreds of people including literary giant Iris Murdoch, activist Bernadette Devlin, Elsa Gidlow, UC Berkeley Chair and founder of Celtic Studies, Brenden O'Hehir, Joycean expert, Dr. Robert Tracy, Joan Keefe and more. Does anyone have a list?

If anyone has photos or stories about Pádraigín, please come forth.

There's not much else to be found on the web about Pádraigín except for her booklet,
The Patriarch Revealed: A Feminist View of St. Patrick (1981). I'd love to see that change.

Pádraigín McGillicuddy, Jim Duran, Sharon Folsom 1978—at KPFA.
 With thanks to Sean Folsom 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Maureen,
This is Sean Folsom, the Piper of "Sheila na Gig", now living in Carmel Valley. In regard to Padragin, "Musha" where to start ?
Well the Victorian she lived in was Gertrude Stein's 2nd Childhood Home and was on 13th Ave, fairly far up the street toward the MacArthur Freeway. Sharon and I had missed buying this House by one day (in 1977) and we drove by it with Padragin, pointed at it, told her the Story, so she contacted the Women who had bought it for a quick turn-over and then Padragin bought it for $53,000.
G. Stein's 1st house was downhill in the flats of the Brooklyn township, in the area between E.18th St. and Foothill. Padragin was really a Jazz fan, but taught herself about Irish Folkmusic, as she went along. She interviewed
Sharon and I a number of times, at our home at 1634 7th Ave. Oakland and at the KPFA studios in downtown Berkeley. I have a number of Photos of her, and she was our M.C. (Presenter) at Sheila na Gig's
Concert at the Oakland Auditorium in Sept. 1978. I notice that you have a page on My Space, well I'm on My Space Music,type-in "Sean the Piper" Beannachta De agus Ceol go leor agat ! Sean an Piobaire

Maureen Hurley said...

Sean,

Good to hear from you. Do you have a photo we can post of Padraigin?

I'm thinking that the De Young event is probably where I first connected with Padraigin but wasn't that in 1976?

My grandmother just loved Sharon. We must've gone back 3 or more times to hear you all play and the exhibit. That's here I met Jum Duran as well. I hear he's in Ireland...

Slan Leat

Mairin

Unknown said...

Mairin,

This is Kerry McGillicuddy, Padraigin's Daughter. I was so happy to see her remembered, as I so believe that hers is a story that deserves to be told. I am in Ireland where I remained after bringing her home. she died in Oct 2003 after a bout with Altzheimers. would love to pass on any info and photo's etc... my email dmmeire@yahoo.com

Maureen Hurley said...

Kerry,

I'm so glad you found the page. I was shocked when I couldn't find much on the internet about Padraigin's bio/stats—when/where she was born, where she grew up, how she came to SF, etc. Maybe you can fill in some of the gaps. A photo of her to post would be lovely. Can you send a jug?

Anonymous said...

I usually don’t post in Blogs but your blog forced me to, amazing work.. beautiful …

wrought iron beds said...

This is a nice blog, I will bookmark you and the feeds also.

Maureen Hurley said...

Somehow I think Padraigín would get a big kick out of the whole concept of blogging—especially from wrought iron beds! Who knew?

Bill said...

I just got a wold hair recently and wanted ot know where PM was now that I hadn't herd her on KPFA or thought of her for years. I'm sad she's no longer here, not because I was a big fan of her show etc..., but it's still shock to find out someone is dead.
My last experience of her was a gig at New College in San Francisco. I had played slow air on the fiddle and she came up to me later and said in a long drawl "You simply transpooooooooorted me!"
She was a character.
Bill Dennehy

pelanorsdragon said...

oh crap. i wanted to contact her to help identify a song she played on a terrible beauty. and she is not to be found. "the lambs on the green hill" - starts with an organ, then female voice. i listened to a terrible beauty on KPFA ever tuesday while i dyed my yarns, for i was a hand weaver then. i would have a cassette deck paused to tape any song that struck my fancy. those tapes are a treasure. but most songs have no identity, i have given them names and some i have found out about online. not that one. it was simply the best radio program now or then, it was a terrible beauty after all. she so enriched my life i sent her a scarf i had woven, i sent it to the west county, for i live in inverness. fair thy well Padraigin McGillicuddy, you made my world a better place. thank you