Thursday, September 21, 1995

Mother Substitute


Nathan asked me asks me to babysit him tonight, I'm startled, and mumbled yes, of course. But then I remembered I had to emcee at Barnes & Noble, so he joins me.

Sonny goes off to practice at 6 PM p.m. and we snuggle in. It's been weeks since we've spooned. Sweet little boy kisses me on the cheek. Nathan tells me Sonny and Pat aren't seeing each other anymore. This part I had already figured out.

I wanted to ask Nathan, did they fight before or after our talk, but I didn't. it seems like their fight came after our big blow-up. He describes a huge phone fight. So I'm still a wrench in the works, good. But I'm not going to ask Nathan any questions. Too inappropriate for words. Nathan should not be a part of this messy adult affair.

Nathan is ever hopeful. Against all odds, he is busy orchestrating his own parent trap, as it were. The heart wants what it wants. A boy wanting a mother substitute. I get that. Story of my life too.

9/21/1995

No comments: