Saturday, April 30, 2016

Posting old Photos & Facebook Memories


Facebook got me on a roll with those Memory posts, I've been going back and filling in some blanks in my blog, with old Facebook posts. Most are photos, some are poems in the rough, but it is interesting to add them to the chronology.

I'm focusing on photos (and comments) that are relevant to the blog and to writing, and performances, vs random photos. Trouble is, I don't know the dates on some of those old photos. Then there's the tracking down of supporting memorabilia (posters and programs), alas, not all in one place. Some of the extra material is scattered across several hard drives, some of it still isn't scanned.

Yeah, yeah, I'm supposed to be writing poems for Poetry Month. I petered out at 15 new poems, I really need to get back on the horse. I was seeking inspiration from the Memory posts. So instead, I'm fleshing out the past. Some of the past includes poems, but they were written in the past and in the past they shall remain. Not part of this year's poetry count.

I'm still feeling weird from the virus. But I managed to clean the house. Maybe this is sort of a house-cleaning attempt as well. You know, post taxes. More interesting than collecting receipts.

And yeah, yeah, yeah, I was supposed to be mining old journals and papers for more of my old MIA work and post it as well, but I fell off the wagon. I grew weary. I grew bored. Got burnt out after documenting several years' worth of journals....then my iPad crashed (where I had those pdfs of my old journals stored—there was no way to get them OFF my iPad). I'm still hoping to resurrect it as I'm not entirely convinced that I've backups of all that archival work I did a few months ago. Rather depressing.

I need to revisit most of these new posts and add details when I find my notes, and supporting material. I got the first entries from Facebook memories on Earth Day. They still need editing (as to most of the others....but that takes time, and multiple visits,  so I don't catch all the typos the first few times around. A few of these posts were added in 2015, but I didn't think to copy links, and now I can't find them. Hard to revisit them if I can't find them. Duh. It comes down to logistics: poems need to be filed by year, offline, as well. I don't have hard copies of most of my work—especially the prose. Sometimes that makes me shudder.)





New work that needs tending to:
(I've made 2nd reading, fixed a few typos, added tags.)
Wupatki
Earth Day in Navajolands 
TECOPA HOT SPRINGS
Earth Day & Squirrel
Longing/Saudade/Hiraeth
AT THE BOTTOM OF FALLEN LEAF LAKE, rev 
 FALLEN LEAF LAKE
The Last Rope Bridge
SEEING DOUBLE
Knee Woes 
Lá Fhéile Bealtaine shona daoibh
MOONCAKE INSOMNIA
Osama Killed 
Maureen Hurley teaching silkpainting at Pleasanton... 
"Day of the Flowers," 34th Mill Valley Film Fest
Fundraiser for Lagunitas Montessori, Point Reyes 
Irish President Mary Robinson
Mary McAleece, Irish President in SF
SF Caledonian Club at Pleasanton
Musician's Special
Me and Dana Teen Lomax CPITS
Elemental Portraits Reading, Sebastopol Center for the Arts
Kirk Whipple, Marilyn Morales, with special guests... 
Elemental Portraits Performance, Cape Cod   
Elemental Portraits with Kirk Whipple and Marilyn Morales, Florida  
3 Hams at a Bread & Roses Party at the Nagy's   wrong year?
Brian Thorstenson's MFA class at San Francisco State
Thespians on the Town
In Wim Hofman's garden, Vlissingen
Andrei Vosnesensky, National Poetry Week
Falling to Sea Level, Aldebaran Review
Maureen Hurley & Jessamyn West, Napa Poetry Conference 
Fashion photo shoot ca . 1981 with Richard Salzman
3 FRAGMENTS, CPITS freewrites
Sonnet Form Michael Dow Workshop
Ghost trees, Michael Dow Workshop
BUCKEYE 

(Titles in CAPS are poems, but not prose poems. I still haven't decided how to handle them, I probably should do the same. But I do have them indexed  prose poem (64)

I still have some woefully inadequate years to account for. WTF ever happened in:
►  2006 (12) pathetic! it was 7
►  2005 (9) better, it was 3
I have almost no work to account for. Maybe browsing my photo archives (or my art) will trigger memory.  But for these years, I'll have to seriously excavate....
►  1999 (18) better, it was 4
►  1998 (10) better, it was 4; I wrote very little after car accident, June 1987.
►  1988 (10) pathetic! it was 9; I broke up with John and became anorexic.
Now it's 14, but three are first drafts of other poems.
►  1982 (10) pathetic (to be fair, I haven't scanned any journals yet.(can't find them).  Also, I had a large file with short poems I posted in 1980, and a variation in 1982, and many of those poems could be from 1981, or 1982). Also, I was badly injured in 1981, and could not even sit up in bed, let alone, type. I do have daily journals for insurances purposes. Hardly the stuff of poetry. Ditto that in 1997-98, bad car accident precluded art. I may never be able to boost those numbers.

(Counting the above six rather deplorable years of little work, I have something like 25 years where I don't have at least 52 poem entries per year. That's my arbitrary, random goal. To find 52 pieces of good writing for each year. That equals out to a poem, or a bit of writing a week. Is it doable? Back to mining those  old journals. Ugh.)  


I also need to revisit:
Trolling Old Journals  (10/12/2015)
also  Salvaging old files (again) (11/21/2015)
to see if I've made any progress. That's when the last spate of salvaging old poems and writing began.  Not listing the newly added work separately makes it almost impossible to find again.

Some progress has been made.
►  1979 ‪(5)‬ now 37!
►  1984 ‪(15)‬ now 27, make that 31
►  1995 ‪(6)‬  now 37
►  1996 ‪(10)‬ now 24 (97, 98, 99 are worse!)
►  2000 ‪(3)‬ 37 mostly schoolwork, ditto for 2001.

Partial list ADDED

1982 (added 09/15/16)
DAWN ON THE LAGUNA date?

1983  NEW! (added 09/15/16)
7 POEM FRAGMENTS, no date, end of summer 83?
GECKO LUCK
Lobster study, Maui, (drawing)
Bob Marley's 40th Memorial concert 5/26/1983 draft...
Will Staple sleeping, Maui Zendo, 1983 (drawing)
2 POEMS: FAMINE FOOD, MONGOOSE MANGOES
FLYING TO MAUI
2 POEMS: UP THE PALI, GUAVA JAVA
LOS CAPRICCIOS DEL PARADISO
POSTCARD TO MARIANNE AND DAVE WARE
THREE POEMS
MANINI
FRAGMENTS
RIDING THE NUMBER 20 BUS
2000 MILES FROM SHORE

1984 (these got moved from 1983, still not sure of the date; will also need to update my master file)
1987 NEW! (added 09/15/16)
WILD CANARY

1988 NEW! (added 09/15/16)
KEEPING DREAMTIME ALIVE
WHAT'S IN A NAME? (Who But I?)
On the Day Robert Duncan Died (Marine Haze/Turning Stones)
Red Heifer was moved from 1987

1995
ODE TO MY TRUCK (2 versions)

1996
Memory: Robin Williams  
YABYUM BORDELLO

1997  newly added to blog  10/15
AN ALPHABET OF WAR
AT THE WAR MEMORIAL OPERA HOUSE
COLLAGE
CORIOLIS EFFECT
VALLEY FEVER
VIENNA, 1939

1998  newly added to blog  10/15
COLLECTING STONES
SONG OF THE HUMPBACK WHALE

2001 newly added to blog  10/15
Independence Day, Fatima, Portugal
STARVING BABIES

2013 newly added to blog  10/15
 Lost Car Keys


Since I began this blog in 2007, I guess I should view anything posted pre-2007, as gravy. My goal, in 2007, was to really learn to write prose, and a blog seemed like a good idea. Adding poems came later. Once I started, I couldn't stop. So much for the idea of keeping separate art forms. Still, this electronic system is far better than the piles of old horizontal paper files that threatened to overtake me in an avalanche of paper.

Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, as the song goes. These are future notes to myself for when, or if I get dementia, at least part of me will have remembered something.

Soon I will have 1700 blog entries. I never envisioned such a number. A ton of writing

This post was published 4/24/16, but I can never find it, so I've moved it to 4/30/16. It's really a tally sheet for me, and a quick way to get to new entries. I get overwhelmed, otherwise.

2 comments:

Zana said...

I must say, I admire your ability to mine so much. I cleared out yet another storage bin of my aunts today. Old pictures and the journal she kept the last 2 yrs as she slid into cognitive dissonance. Even her handwriting changed. I needed a nap afterward.
I keep a big wicker basket in my garage. That is where I put stuff I don't have the heart to get rid of. I got the basket from the family farm. It was a last minute invitation to come and take something from the house before they tore it down. This big basket was in the old birthing room off the kitchen. It had been used as a storage room for the last 2 generations. The room where my maternal grandfather was born. SO this basket is a smaller version of that room. The next generation may not mind sorting through, dispersing and disposing of the "stuff". But it has no written or oral documentation and they will wonder why I couldn't throw it.

Maureen Hurley said...

Zana,

Thank you for your story and family history. Especially about your aunt, and how her handwriting changed. I hope you're also documenting that stuff in that wicker basket where stories dwell with photos as well as writing. So important to record the stories.

xxoo Maureen