Wednesday, September 2, 2015

WIKI IS THE NEW OED


The poem's lovely conversational tones sucked me in
and those tight visual descriptions had me flopping
on the proverbial floor for a nice tummy rub.
And maybe I was peckish for some proverbial kibble.
A thousand-year-old lake bed got me to Googling.
I lost an hour there, eons-old? (last Ice Age)
it was part of the Pleistocene Lake Lahontan—
once the largest lake in N. America (900 ft.deep),
Wow. And Lake Tahoe drained into it. Imagine.
I fingered and fondled words I never knew existed:
endorheic lake, pluvial, ephemeral lake, salar, sabkha.
And I learned the difference between playas and hardpans.
Wikipedia is the new OED. I've lost hours hunting words.
OK, now I've gone completely ADD and around the bend:
Did you know Black Rock Desert has fairy shrimp?
Yeah, and on the playa, Anostraca are swimming
among the mammoth bones in the Quinn River sink.
I think your poem's spawned a poem in me....
Talk about a dry period. A desert. This breath ending.
And what about poem #241, inquiring minds need to know.

9/2/15?




A found poem, likely from a FB entry, I've no idea who it's to. Probably to John Oliver Simon, as he numbers his 'sonnets." It must've either mentioned me, or held an oblique reference to our past. We hadn't yet made up, there was still a lot of rawness between us. And we were soon to return into each other's peripheral orbit.
It looks like Labor Day Weekend was Sept 4-7, so  I wasn't traveling. And the CPITS conference in Santa Barbara was later, Sept 13. So maybe I was preparing myself. Girding my loins. I also wrote and published Party Line on Sept 2. So I guess this was a freewrite that I had little faith in.

added 7/7/16
with minor revisions


Lovely conversational tone sucked me right in....
Tight visual descriptions have me flopping on the proverbial floor for a nice tummy rub. And maybe some kibble.
thou-
sand-year-old lake bed
got me to Googling....lost an hour there,
eons-old? (last ice age)
part of Pleistocene Lake Lahontan—once the largest lake in N. America (900 ft.deep), Tahoe drained into it..
Words I never knew existed: endorheic lake, pluvial/ephemeral lake, salar, sabkha.
And the difference between playas and hardpans.
Wiki is the new OED.
OK, now I've gone completely ADD: Black Rock Desert has fairy shrimp or anostraca among the mammoth bones in the Quinn River sink.
I think your poem's spawning a poem for me....talk about a dry period.
And what about 241, inquiring minds need to know.

No comments: