Tuesday, September 27, 2022

THE RAPTURE OF THE DUTCH GOLDEN AGE



While I watched the birds flit in the skewed rafters of Scheve Jan,
Oude Kerk, my friend pointed to a worn inscription on the stone floor.
I got down on my hands and knees in order to read it,
and shrieked, as I was sprawled atop a Petri dish, the graveslab 
of the father of microbiology, Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, 
a draper who perfected the loupe and the aquatic microscope.
He, who discovered kleine diertjes, cavorting wee beasties, 
animalcules frolicking in the rainwater and in the canals of Delft—
delven means to dig, and so he delved a canal into the obscure arts.
He was the first to witness unnamed creatures of an unknown world—
paramecia, protozoa & spermatozoa—I don’t even want to go there.
In winter light, the church was too dark for my camera to record,
I needed spectacles to see. But at that moment my feet 
(& knees) gave me a more pious vision. I was so enthralled,
I overlooked the plaque of that other master of ultramarine shadow 
and light, I came too late to see—Vermeer, and his camera lucida, 
but at a vlooienmarkt in front of City Hall, I found antique Delft tiles 
painted with dragonflies, and a beatific saint rising above the marsh.

9/27
Observationes microscopicae drawn by Antoni Leeuwenhoek, 1682 Wiki



While I watched the birds flit in the skewed rafters of Scheve Jan,
Oude Kerk, my friend pointed to a worn inscription on the stone floor.
I got down on my hands and knees in order to read it,
and shrieked, as I was sprawled atop a Petri dish, the graveslab 
of the father of microbiology, Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, 
a draper who perfected the loupe and the aquatic microscope.
He, who discovered kleine diertjes, cavorting wee beasties, 
animalcules frolicking in the rainwater and in the canals of Delft—
delven means to dig, and so he delved a canal into the obscure arts.
O Brave New World. He was the first to witness unnamed creatures—
paramecia, protozoa & spermatozoa—I don’t even want to go there.
The church was far too dark for my camera to record, I needed glasses 
in order to see, I was also in denial. But at that moment my feet 
(& knees) gave me a more pious vision. I was so enthralled,
I overlooked the plaque of that other master of ultramarine shadow 
and light, I came too late to see—Vermeer, and his camera lucida, 
but at a vlooienmarkt in front of City Hall, I found antique Delft tiles 
painted with dragonflies, and a beatific saint rising above the marsh.

Well, one gross question got answered in Salon.

No comments: