Wednesday, June 22, 2022

WHAT IF THE DEAD


What if the dead, 
not just family and friends, 
could visit us? 

What if we’re their mouthpieces, 
reliving interrupted dreams, 
imagining them as our own? 

What if those we admire 
have unfinished business, 
and stories to tell, and so 

they steer us closer to the heart,
so that we, the living, 
can bring closure to the dead? 

Picture Harriet Tubman, 
her head in a vise, dreaming 
of the open road, dreaming 

of following the stars north 
towards the heart of winter, 
the adamantine stars weeping. 

And what if we sing coded songs, 
having forgotten what they stood for, 
the drinking gourd corked with a star. 

Sometimes I imagine the dead 
slumbering beside me, 
with such stories to tell, 

that I wake up, forgetting all the words,
each fragment crenulating itself 
into fanciful constellations 

and when I wake up, all I remember 
is a scrabbled handful of stars 
thrown against the horizon of sleep.

6/22 Write On! Susie Terence

No comments: