I censored this part: My grandmother had eight babies, she had little choice while my mother was careless, or didn’t care, dropping off babies like so many bags of groceries on my grandmother’sdoorstep.
My mother told me that I was always wanted, always loved. That much at least is true, but she was unfit as a mother and the state took her last baby who had MS. One day the crib was empty, no warning. Her mind slipped and she never gained traction again.
I was afraid to pass on the gene pool. It’s not that I didn’t want children. My father, an alcoholic had a son who, when rent became due, was an addict, who had a son, and so on. At least the son was put up for adoption, so small threads of our gene pool survives onto the next generation despite my best efforts to stem the tide, that imperfect gene pool that begat, and continues to beget so much family horror.
My mother was famous for one-night stands and my second half-brother, raised as a cousin, managed to raise a family, but his addiction was something he could not shake, and so he was in and out of prison and that third time's a strike law, pushed him to take his own life, a shotgun to the head.
So though I had no children, the family is traumatized and the lineage continues through my gene pool, though not my own. I know this is not a poem, it’s confessional, but maybe a poem will come later. My life story has always been too raw for the synthesis of art, though it is also the core of my being. My children are my art, or that which survives me. My life is a non-negotiable demand of words.
- This piece was a spillover from a Patrice Vecchione workshop: Write your life open, ...
No comments:
Post a Comment