Friday, May 7, 2021

Red flag warning (teaching journal)


Nothing quite like being wired & tired, allergic & itchy all at the same time, and desperate for sleep during a diablo windstorm with a red flag warning. I woke up this morning with my mind on sneezing. I hate it when you sneeze so hard that you can’t catch your breath, and the next one’s coming down the track like a freight train on speed. You sneeze so hard, scuttle backwards and jackknife like a crawdad on steroids and wind up in the next county and you consider using Depends. Yesterday the entire Northbay was under a red flag wind warning. The Sudafed is still kicking my butt, the tiny glass of wine wore off long ago. I’m sure it didn’t help. I don’t dare have more wine because of my allergies. It hit me hard—earlier I was both drunk and wired sober at the same time. I was both coming and going—not pleasant. Cheap date. I touched my eye and then had another allergy slam dunk attack. Nothing helps with the heavy sulfuring of the vineyards because it’s not pollen. Alexander Valley is under a yellow haze. The wind is blowing fiercely, practically a gale. That last bit is enough to keep me edgy and wired to the gills. Not to mention the Sudafed which dried up more than my sinuses. Good thing I didn’t take two, or I would be orbiting with Elon Musk’s satellites. I’ve taught poetry to kids in three counties this week. Nine classes. And also another day job. Same schedule next week. I’m wound up tighter than a tick. And I am drop dead tired to boot. Oh, and I forgot to add that the mosquitoes circling like vultures. They know a good thing when they smell it.

No comments: