I found a wee scorpion snoozing under a pot when I was spring cleaning up Sam’s front porch in Forest Knolls. He was hunkered down for the duration of the drought and was nice and moist under the pot A post Earth Day surprise. Meet C.B. De Mille, my new gardening buddy. He prefers to go by the handle, Cecil B, the baddass Scorpion. I was expecting to find baby salamanders snoozing under the pots. Not a wee timerous scorpion. He’s very tiny, about an inch long, or 2 inches long if his tail were flattened out. He’s lightfooted and can skitter like a mouse, and he’s very docile. When I was younger I used to have scorpion nightmares. So it was interesting to get a chance to study him up close. Please don’t kill the wood scorpions. They are the good guys. Mighty bug hunters, (they love centipedes) and they can live up to 6 years. He’s iridescent, which means he will fluoresce under a blacklight. I didn’t want to stress him out too much with all that direct sunlight. So I took his close-up & put him back under the pot. You can bet I’ll move those pots carefully from now on. Forest Knolls. Full Scorpio Moon.
We have seven types of scorpions in the Bay Area. Woodies (Uroctonus mordax) have the biggest claws.
No comments:
Post a Comment