Where to even begin? The mind wants answers,
and some are satisfied with any answers
that will do, no matter how impossible.
People are grasping at straws as if they were life-rafts
in the deep end of the COVID pool.
Lemmings flock to the beaches, as if to find the answer,
the first terrestrial “I am” ever uttered.
I want to tell the gobies and the mudskippers
there’s been a mistake, go back,
but I’ve said it all before somewhere
in another poem, long ago, when I was someone else.
As we look down the hindsight
of that long-barreled gun of time,
we can’t fathom anything but this moment,
frozen, in the perpetual now.
Each act takes us farther from ourselves,
and what we once held to be true,
makes us re-define our lives with a new timeframe,
so that we can barely remember
anything other than what is now.
What is happening to time?
As we speed headlong
towards our own extinction.
in another poem, long ago, when I was someone else.
As we look down the hindsight
of that long-barreled gun of time,
we can’t fathom anything but this moment,
frozen, in the perpetual now.
Each act takes us farther from ourselves,
and what we once held to be true,
makes us re-define our lives with a new timeframe,
so that we can barely remember
anything other than what is now.
What is happening to time?
As we speed headlong
towards our own extinction.
June 26, 2020
No comments:
Post a Comment