Tuesday, September 24, 2019

2019 CAC Artist panel application


I’ve taught artist-in-school residencies in rural & urban schools in California since 1979. I’ve received 7 individual CAC AIR grants in Sonoma & Napa counties; & the Montana Arts Council. I’ve participated in CAC multi-artist residencies, received a PBS/KQED AIR grant, & two Oakland Cultural Arts Council grants. I’ve led arts workshops in the Western US & Florida, as well as in the Bahamas, Netherlands, & the former USSR. I’ve won fellowships and awards for my writing, art, and teaching residencies. I worked for alternative newspapers, writing news, & arts feature stories. I’ve trained artists and teachers through arts organizations, including California Poets in the Schools, Artists in the Schools of Sonoma County, Rural Arts Services, 

I’ve taught in a diverse range of communities throughout California. My ongoing work brings me in contact with a wide and diverse range of artists. I’ve photo-documented artists—especially poets—since 1979. I volunteer at the San Geronimo Valley Community Center, working with elders, and I have had art displayed at several of the the art exhibits at the art center. I was a featured poet at the latest Petaluma Poetry Walk, & am a coordinator & emcee for the Watershed Environmental Poetry Festival.

I have worked 20 years in Bay Area schools, teaching poetry and art to historically underserved schools including Oakland, and Hunters’s Point, in San Francisco, developing culturally relevant arts programming to meet their specific needs. Before that, I coordinated arts programming for 20 years in rural Sonoma County. I have worked with all ages, and demographics, including inmates at Napa Stare Hospital, and elders as well. How needs were determined was by meeting with the host client before the residency and creating an arts program to meet their specific needs.

I got the CAC grant!

No comments: